This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tax time

My stbx asked me for my SIN# , claiming that she needs it for tax calculations , I told her that we are separated and her income tax should be filed as single therefore I would not give her my SIN .
    Am I right ?

If you are paying support of any kind, or if you have children and not paying support (example, you have 50/50 shared and there is no set-off) you still need to "connect" your returns.

For example if you pay support, your ex has to claim it (even non-taxable.) Your ex has to indicate where it is coming from, needs to identify you, and needs to enter your SIN. You need to do the same, indicating on your return how much support you pay and to whom.

Comment

I see , now I understand where she is coming from ...Thank You Mess .
      On the other hand I just made it a little harder for her to get what she wants... for change . I also must say that I dont trust her in anyway , concerning any matter , I usually verify 2 times with my lawyer or with others ,including all you good people on this forum before I provide her with anything , she cant be trusted at all !!! For example she managed to rip me off for $300 since November . So I will provide her with my SIN ,and pray that she doesnt use it to obtain credit or something like that ...scary I tell you

Comment

Like wise you should be asking for her SIN number, her numbers should match your numbers... maybe ask her what exactly its for and tell her you want to ensure that what she claims for support, is what you put down also...

Comment

Also just to add, you mention she is "STBX", if you separated last year then you were still together for part of the year and your returns will still reflect that.

Comment

I believe that only the support payor needs to enter the support receiver's SIN number.

The support receiver just needs to enter the amount received and the amount that is taxable.

In the year of separation, the payor has the option of either taking the spousal credit OR the deduction for support (if any ie: spousal support usually)

Comment

Originally posted by Mess View Post
              Also just to add, you mention she is "STBX", if you separated last year then you were still together for part of the year and your returns will still reflect that.
              We separated in August of last year , so how do I file my taxes ?Single or ?

Comment

You file as separated .... you will never be single again

There is also a question re: change in marital status ... enter the date of separation.

Comment

You file as separated .... you will never be single again

There is also a question re: change in marital status ... enter the date of separation.
                  Be careful here. The criteria for following as separated is as follows:

When are you considered separated?

We consider you separated when you live separate and apart from your spouse or common‑law partner for a period of 90 days or more due to a breakdown in your relationship. A separation of less than 90 days is not considered a separation for the purpose of Child and Family Benefits. Once you have been separated for 90 days, the effective day of your separated status is the day you started living separate and apart.
                  If you continue to live together in the same household, we will not consider a separation to have occurred. An exception to this may occur when separate living quarters are self‑contained in the same household.
                  However, if you reside in the same household and continue to share parenting and financial responsibilities, we will not consider a separation to have occurred for the purpose of administering the Canada Child Tax Benefit or Goods and Services Tax/Harmonized Sales Tax (GST/HST) credit legislation.

from When are you considered separated?

This definition is difference from what the courts determination of the separation date might be. You will also have to fill out a change in marital status form.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pbg/tf/rc65/rc65-11e.pdf

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                  Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                  Working...
                  X