Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 08:57 AM

Gary_P is on a distinguished road
Default Cant Post

Testing ... last 5 trys to post bring back an error
Old 07-06-2011, 09:03 AM

Gary_P is on a distinguished road

Married in 1990
Separated and divorced in 2001
Kids were 2, 7 and 8 at the the time
Kids are now 12, 17 and 18 all living at home.
Wife not working at time of divorce. She had a history of consistent working but was tending to children at the time in history. Has been working for 8 years with steady job making $13/hour but with her skills should be making around $25/hour. She likes her job and the people so not motivated to look elsewhere.
Was paying $2500/month spousal way back when
In 2005 went back and had it lowered to $980/month with a review possible in Sept 2005.
I never pursued lowering it since until a few weeks ago.
Signed over house and a car to wife in 2005.
It has now been 10 years of spousal and child. I have no problem with child support obviously but should the spousal be over?
I sent her an offer of $400/month for spousal for next 12 months and spousal then ends in a year. She said "see you in court". My lawyer says that it should end.
She firmly believes she is entitled to this and says I am lucky she has never gone after a cost of living increase. My understanding is that Spousal is designed to assist the disadvantaged spouse for a reasonable period of time until they can become financially self supportive.
What say ye good folks? Is a court likely to say "enough is enough", "lower it dramatically", "keep it going" or (sigh) "she gets more".
Thanks
Old 07-06-2011, 02:43 PM

Mess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the rough

.5 to 1 year ss per year of marrige. It can be indefinate if years of marriage and the recpient's age add up to 65+. For your length of marriage you have paid sufficiently. Your offer is more than fair. A court might come to a similar result or might simply end ss.

You do need to make complete arguments and researching valid job opportunities @$25/hr and getting verified evidece of such would be a good idea.
Closed Thread