Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Agree to change schools?

Request to post a question anonymously:

- We have shared and joint custody for 5+ years.
    - Ex lives 40 minutes away.
    - Our 7 year old went to school in my catchment area for preschool to grade 1
    - For upcoming grade 2, the ex is suggesting that we sign a legal document that the child continues the same school until next year (2015) and then switches to a school in the ex's catchment area.

- I have a choice between signing or going to court.

- My lawyer advised that I can sign and if I am not happy with it next year I can challenge the agreement.

- Our child has a nice status quo, as far as school goes, to stay as is and the ex's only objection could be that I moved a number of times in the last two years to temporary residences until finding my current permanent residence.

Should I go ahead and sign the paper and challenge it next year if needed, or should I object to it now?

Wasn't this already posted though, previously? I feel like I already saw this posted.

I would never sign anything, that I feel I will likely disagree with, or want to challenge in the future.

Comment

I wouldn't sign if you do not agree to the change in future years.

Comment

Originally posted by dad2bandm View Post
        Wasn't this already posted though, previously? I feel like I already saw this posted.

I would never sign anything, that I feel I will likely disagree with, or want to challenge in the future.
        Not unless I accidently hit post twice!

Originally posted by Serene View Post
        I wouldn't sign if you do not agree to the change in future years.
        Agreed. IMO, agree to discuss it when the date is closer but don't agree to something you're fairly certain you will disagree with in the future.

Comment

and the ex's only objection could be that I moved a number of times in the last two years to temporary residences until finding my current permanent residence.
          Presumably 40 minutes away from your ex, and the child's original location? I feel like there is a lot of "backstory" here leading up to this.

Comment

Not entirely sure it's relevant, the child in question has been in that particular school since starting school, with that kind of status quo, it would be difficult to see how it would be in the child's best interest to move them to another catchment just because the ex wants to.

Comment

Agreed, there's got to be more to the story.

I would never sign anything I intended to disagree with in the future.

If the current school is where the child has always resided and the ex is the one that moved away, AND the child is happy at the current school, I would really push to leave things as is.

If ex moved, then too bad if the distance is inconvenient, it's a choice ex has to live with. As long as the child is happy at the school.

If OP moved, then it would be fair to consider changing schools. But only if the child was unhappy at the current school.

It really doesn't matter what the parents want, focus on the child.

Comment

Originally posted by blinkandimgone View Post
                Not entirely sure it's relevant, the child in question has been in that particular school since starting school, with that kind of status quo, it would be difficult to see how it would be in the child's best interest to move them to another catchment just because the ex wants to.
                I don't know. It's probably not relevant; unless the backstory is OP moved with child 40 minutes away, and the ex has been poorly trying to get child moved back, to original location during this time, and this is some part of the settlement with OP?

Like I said, I feel there is a lot of backstory missing here.

My original advice stands - never sign anything you don't agree to, or feel you will not agree with, down the road.

Comment

Perhaps the OP is a male and feels court will be bias.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                  Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                  Working...
                  X