Health Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sahibjee View Post
    It was in April 2013, i will try to recover the exact date, but the clinic was
    children's after hours clinic. 235 Danforth Avenue, Suite 100, Toronto, ON M4K 1N2,

my son was suffering from pollen allergies, the receptionist said they need to see the original card because photo copy dosnt have a picture on it (and the original card dosnt either! duh).
    You were dealing with an improperly educated person. You should have just went to the hospital if it was an emergency and after hours. Also, did you call Telehealth Ontario first?

Next time, call Telehealth Ontario before going into a clinic or hospital (if the child is not bleeding or near death). You have the OHIP information, they can verify it on the phone with you. Then, they can assess (over the phone) the situation and do a referral for you. If they tell you to go to a clinic or hospital, ask them to call ahead and confirm your attendance with the child (they usually do) and then ask them to validate that the child is registered in the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) with the clinical staff there.

The intake will already be setup for when you show up, a clinican has confirmed to the clinic that there is a need for you to be there (pre-screened) and that the child in question has valid health care insurance... And this is from a government employed REGISTERED NURSE who has access to the client registry.

If Telehealth Ontario can service a caller with just the oral presentment of the OHIP number... There is no reason a clinic cannot. But, to avoid the issues with under-trained reception staff... Just call Telehealth Ontario first. You may actually find out you don't need to drag the child to the clinic.

In fact, if the other parent blabbers about in court that you didn't take the child to the doctor immediately and the nurse told you not to... Just request the medical record from Telehealth Ontario (they provide them on request) and produce the CONCRETE evidence you did call and were advised by a registered medical professional that attendance at an acute care setting was NOT needed.

Also, your child should be registered with a family doctor that is part of a family health care team. As part of the family health care team they have to be directly linked to an after hours clinic. You can then go to this clinic and the doctor on call will have access to all the necessary information regarding the child in question. In fact, the child's doctor may actually be on call or another doctor in the practice that has seen the child in the past and familiar with their medical condition.

Every child in my opinion, in the province of Ontario, should have a family practitioner of medicine who is part of a family health care team.

Leverage Telehealth Ontario. The service is great and the nurses are all really helpful. They can do a lot to help get you into the right care setting if necessary.

Good Luck!
    Tayken

Comment

Originally posted by Tayken View Post
      You were dealing with an improperly educated person. You should have just went to the hospital if it was an emergency and after hours. Also, did you call Telehealth Ontario first?

Next time, call Telehealth Ontario before going into a clinic or hospital (if the child is not bleeding or near death). You have the OHIP information, they can verify it on the phone with you. Then, they can assess (over the phone) the situation and do a referral for you. If they tell you to go to a clinic or hospital, ask them to call ahead and confirm your attendance with the child (they usually do) and then ask them to validate that the child is registered in the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) with the clinical staff there.

The intake will already be setup for when you show up, a clinican has confirmed to the clinic that there is a need for you to be there (pre-screened) and that the child in question has valid health care insurance... And this is from a government employed REGISTERED NURSE who has access to the client registry.

Leverage Telehealth Ontario. The service is great and the nurses are all really helpful. They can do a lot to help get you into the right care setting if necessary.

Good Luck!
      Tayken
      Really? I don't ever remember TeleHealth ever asking for the OHIP numbers. And the only advice they have ever offered after listening to symptoms is to go to an urgent care centre.

I would be surprised they can set up a prescreened intake as the information you provide to them is confidential.

I have had the same experience as the OP though where we were told we would have to pay the fee to see a doctor if we could not provide a valid health card. The fee was refunded when we presented the card a few days later.
      Last edited by SadAndTired; 06-27-2013, 04:35 PM.

Comment

Ah, I see from their website that Telehealth will ask your permission to send the information on if they have directed you to an emergency department. It does say that you do not need an OHIP number to call though.

Comment

Well given the fact that "dad" has the kids 5 days a week & the mom (your GF) has them on weekends it makes sense to me that bio dad keeps hold of the original HCards and mom has a photocopy. If there was a emergency then dad can show up and provide originals ... As far as I know the Govt will NOT issue 2 Health Cards

Comment

Originally posted by SadAndTired View Post
            Really? I don't ever remember TeleHealth ever asking for the OHIP numbers. And the only advice they have ever offered after listening to symptoms is to go to an urgent care centre.

I would be surprised they can set up a prescreened intake as the information you provide to them is confidential.

I have had the same experience as the OP though where we were told we would have to pay the fee to see a doctor if we could not provide a valid health card. The fee was refunded when we presented the card a few days later.
            They will do this, our family practitioner is part of a family health team and they require that we go through telehealth to get an appointment at the team's after hours clinic.

Telehealth does not ordinarily ask for OHIP info, but I think Tayken is saying that you should suggest this when you call and they will co-operate.

Comment

Originally posted by Mess View Post
              Telehealth does not ordinarily ask for OHIP info.
              I'm pretty sure they are looking you up in the system when they ask for the person's name and date of birth and so on before they ask what's wrong.

Comment

They ask for the OHIP number. It is part of the intake process.

Then be surprised because they can and often do when requested. What part of PHIPA is violated by doing a transfer of care between providers? Registered Nurse from a health care facility to another health care facility is a legal transfer of care.

Good Luck!
                Tayken

Comment

Ah, I see from their website that Telehealth will ask your permission to send the information on if they have directed you to an emergency department. It does say that you do not need an OHIP number to call though.
                  They collect the information for billing purposes. That is how they exist as they bill against OHIP. If you have ever seen a record from Telehealth you will see that they are all coded with the OHIP client identifier.

Good Luck!
                  Tayken

Comment

Originally posted by Mess View Post
                    Telehealth does not ordinarily ask for OHIP info, but I think Tayken is saying that you should suggest this when you call and they will co-operate.
                    They only ask for the OHIP information when the client lookup on address fails generally. It is part of the intake process. Basically, they always ask for location of the person, name and birth date. If the address doesn't pop the right record they will ask for the OHIP number to insure they are talking to the right person.

Just to remind everyone... health care under PHIPA for the purposes of sharing medical records/information between medical professionals is an opt-in model and not opt-out by default. You can surely tell the government you don't want your medical information viewable but, you have to explicitly state this.

Good Luck!
                    Tayken

Comment

I provide the card in kid's school backpack if the kid is going to dads more than just the weekend. Thing is, it can easily get misplaced or lost.
                      I did make copies Of the health card (one for him and one for his extended family) along with my cell number and doctor's info.

Comment

I see this thread is old but I'm having a situation at present. We have shared 50/50 custody at present and Mom has always refused to give me the health card despite us both having the kids equal time. Just to end the fighting, I called the Ministry of Health and they provided me with a transaction record. I just recently was declined care because of it as they said I need to get one every two months!!! I just spoke to the Ministry who said that OR a photocopy was valid. I explained my situation and they said it shouldn't be a situation in the first place. I explained they were going to charge me $100 for the visit. He advised this shouldn't happen. There is no two month rule. So my question is, do they make up their own rules here? It is very frustrating!!! So it seems that some places do their "own" thing and some follow the ministry standard. Anyone have any newer insight into this?

Comment

Originally posted by vocalfather View Post
                          I see this thread is old but I'm having a situation at present. We have shared 50/50 custody at present and Mom has always refused to give me the health card despite us both having the kids equal time. Just to end the fighting, I called the Ministry of Health and they provided me with a transaction record. I just recently was declined care because of it as they said I need to get one every two months!!! I just spoke to the Ministry who said that OR a photocopy was valid. I explained my situation and they said it shouldn't be a situation in the first place. I explained they were going to charge me $100 for the visit. He advised this shouldn't happen. There is no two month rule. So my question is, do they make up their own rules here? It is very frustrating!!! So it seems that some places do their "own" thing and some follow the ministry standard. Anyone have any newer insight into this?
                          Send your ex the bill...This would be S7...

Comment

For what it's worth, I was able to get a duplicate of D8's health care card by filling out a form at a registry office and sending it in, along with a copy of her birth certificate. So she has two cards (with the same number), one which stays with me and one which stays with her father. People lose or misplace health cards all the time, so getting a new one is not a major event as long as you can prove entitlement (with a SIN, a birth certificate, something proving your residence, etc). (I explained the circumstances of the divorce and the 50/50 parenting arrangement to the people at the registry office and they were fine with it).

This may vary by province - I live in Alberta.

Comment

In Ontario a new card has a different extension code wwhich renders the previous card inactive.

Comment

Originally posted by Serene View Post
                                In Ontario a new card has a different extension code wwhich renders the previous card inactive.
                                Even better LOL..

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                                Working...
                                X