young vs senior lawyers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• young vs senior lawyers

Does it really matter how much experience your lawyer has? I'm sure it does but in the case of a younger lawyer with 5 -6 years of experience who is very sharp - do you think they could make a good representation against a lawyer with over 20 years of experience ?

I am hoping someone has been in this sitatuation before from either side

It all comes down to case precedents, the family laws and ability to tailor your arguments to the facts

Comment

Originally posted by trinton View Post
      Does it really matter how much experience your lawyer has? I'm sure it does but in the case of a younger lawyer with 5 -6 years of experience who is very sharp - do you think they could make a good representation against a lawyer with over 20 years of experience ?

I am hoping someone has been in this sitatuation before from either side
      The one thing you have to remember with very experienced lawyers 20+ years in the business is that they are connected. They know the judges and have appeared before them on numerous occasions. The very good lawyers are respected not for what they can do for a client but, what clients they choose to work with. As well, the judge and a very experienced lawyer may have practiced together or as opposing counsel and settled hundreds of matters.

Good lawyers don't take on crappy clients. They can weed out the high conflict clients. So, many of them go into court with clients and the judge knows that they have screened the hell out of their clients and they are not crazy because the lawyer doesn't represent crazy clients.

So, it isn't a matter of if you want an experienced to represent you... It is a matter of if they want to represent you.

There are also lawyers who are well known to the court who commonly represent high conflict clients because that is all they can get.

With regards to young/fresh lawyers. I wouldn't be too concerned. They are usually building their practice and invest a lot of time into their files.

Good Luck!
      Tayken

Comment

My experience with lawyers is this.

1. Check canlii see how many cases they have handled. I think this is the best objective way to compare.

2. You can also read the cases and try to get a feeling for their performance in court. A good lawyer would get his female client sole custody and get his male custody shared custody any lawyer who can't do that should be serious assessed.

I've beaten all types of lawyers in litigation/trial:
        -an overweight 45 year old man
        -homosexual 35 year old male lawyer
        -ditzy latino female texting 30yr old lawyers
        -50 year old quebecois obese experience women lawyer
        -60 year old quebecois lawyer
        -I think I also got a firm to drop my ex as a client because I was owning them too much.

So I think its hard discriminating on the basis of either gender, age, sexual orientation, looks (they were all average looking) or weight.... I beat them all, send them home packing - I don't discriminate.

Comment

young vs senior lawyers

Originally posted by Links17 View Post

1. Check canlii see how many cases they have handled. I think this is the best objective way to compare.

2. You can also read the cases and try to get a feeling for their performance in court. A good lawyer would get his female client sole custody and get his male custody shared custody any lawyer who can't do that should be serious assessed.

-I think I also got a firm to drop my ex as a client because I was owning them too much.

So I think its hard discriminating on the basis of either gender, age, sexual orientation, looks (they were all average looking) or weight.... I beat them all, send them home packing - I don't discriminate.

Right on. The experienced lawyer has had lots of trials Has won some cases in favour of dad but lost quite a number of them when seeking joint custody and lost protection cases when representing moms.

The new lawyer is very smart and successfully represented many fathers (as she says nothing backed by canli) but supports shared parenting.

I am thinking self representing but need a lawyer for the next step of my case. Can't be done without counsel.

I don't have patience for old school lawyers that know nothing about shared custody or think hat shared custody is 50-50

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Links17 View Post

CanLii in no way reflects the amount of cases a lawyer has handled successfully.

So you've beaten fat, gay, female Latino and Quebecois (50 and 60 year-old and obese) lawyers but you don't discriminate.

Phew. I thought for a minute that you might be the sort to discriminate.

I gather from your posts that you are male and of the Muslim faith. Has that ever been a problem for any of the professionals that you have encountered?

Comment

young vs senior lawyers

Originally posted by arabian View Post
              CanLii in no way reflects the amount of cases a lawyer has handled successfully.

So you've beaten fat, gay, female Latino and Quebecois (50 and 60 year-old and obese) lawyers but you don't discriminate.

I gather from your posts that you are male and of the Muslim faith. Has that ever been a problem for any of the professionals that you have encountered?

I don't think that's what links was intending to say. He was saying a lawyer isn't necessarily better or any different because he or she has 25 years of experience. He sees them all as one regardless of their status or gender or age. That is, he doesn't recognize a distinction or differentiate.

If he told the lawyer to their face. You're a gay lawyer what would you know about family law then yes that would be discrimination.

Nothing wrong with links identifying lawyers by their status. I'm sure you remember the last survey you filled that asked about your gender, age or homosexuality for statistics.

/manipulation

Comment

What about out of town lawyers. This is what I got in response: you need to understand that costs increase because we are out of town counsel. Our hourly rates stay the same BUT:

1. We charge for travel time

2. If we need to be there for an important case, we may need a hotel room for the night, which we also disburse.

3 The costs of a courier and filing increase.

We just want you to be aware of the increased costs for hiring out of town lawyers.

Comment

(I didn't know "fat" was a status or relevant to family law).

I think everyone has to remember that lawyers are business people. If you expect a lawyer to travel to your home town to meet with you and represent you in court (in your home town) then you have to pay their expenses. An accountant would bill you for their out-of-town expenses as well.

Comment

young vs senior lawyers

(I didn't know "fat" was a status or relevant to family law).

I think everyone has to remember that lawyers are business people. If you expect a lawyer to travel to your home town to meet with you and represent you in court (in your home town) then you have to pay their expenses. An accountant would bill you for their out-of-town expenses as well.

You've never seen a fat family lawyer? Is it just me or am I the only one that sees massive family law lawyers at the courthouse? They're real intimidating.

Yes of course. Family law is a business. It's a multi billion dollar industry that destroys children for profit.

I guess if the lawyer is going to impress and shook the courts then it may be worth it to bring her/him down to a hotel.

Comment

Since the OP started the thread on the basis of a form of discrimination (agesim).... I took it all the way ... I think I covered all the various forms of discrimination.

And yes, I get discriminated against regularly but I am just smarter and better so I get by anyways.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                      Working...
                      X