This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tool to estimate PS Pension vs. RRSP

Anyone know of a way to estimate the value of a canadian gov't pension and compare it to RRSP. I have worked privately for my career, my wife a public servant. 20+ years. Is there any calculator out there to compare for equalizing other than going to a financial accountant?

It doesn't have to be perfect, just guestimate.

Honestly, I paid an actuarial accountant a few hundred dollars to calculate the future amount, post retirement tax for RRSP and the pension... I'd ask a professional, it's worth having the right answer.

Comment

You need to also submit forms to Pension and Benefits (.gc.ca) to get an 'estimate' of the pension value for division of it in the case of separation/divorce. Form 2488 I think. Or else 2483.
      I am federal employee currently going through the same thing but on the other side as you i.e. it is my pension. I don't think you can request this but when she does she should have to give it to you too when she gets it.

Comment

thanks for the information, definetly need the actuarial accountant for a final settling number. I'll ask her to look into with the govt pension people.

thanks again

Comment

I thought I had included this link earlier but apparently not!
          Here's some helpful info:

In the Event of Divorce or Separation - Active Member - Your Public Service Pension and Benefits - Government of Canada

I asked them about completing this without a court order - you have to wait 1 year from separation before they would actually process it. FYI.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X