Ottawa Divorce .com Forums


User CP

New posts

Advertising

  Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 09-12-2017, 09:29 AM
plainNamedDad44's Avatar
plainNamedDad44 plainNamedDad44 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 872
plainNamedDad44 is on a distinguished road
Default Question about Form 31 - Notice of Contempt Motion - where do I put requested relief?

Hi Community,

I am bringing forward a contempt motion regarding my STBX's breach of agreed to minutes of settlement regarding sale of marital home.

Its Form 31. The form does not seem to allow one to specify orders you are seeking like a regular notice of motion allows.

As a result of STBX's contempt, I am seeking an order for control of the sale of the marital home and an order for costs. Where to I specify this ?

As always, thank you.

PND
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-12-2017, 09:45 AM
Tayken's Avatar
Tayken Tayken is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 6,810
Tayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant future
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by plainNamedDad44 View Post
Hi Community,

I am bringing forward a contempt motion regarding my STBX's breach of agreed to minutes of settlement regarding sale of marital home.

Its Form 31. The form does not seem to allow one to specify orders you are seeking like a regular notice of motion allows.

As a result of STBX's contempt, I am seeking an order for control of the sale of the marital home and an order for costs. Where to I specify this ?

As always, thank you.

PND
Talk to a lawyer first. You may not be able to bring contempt for this.

Quote:
31. (1) An order, other than a payment order, may be enforced by a contempt motion made in the case in which the order was made, even if another penalty is available. O. Reg. 114/99, r. 31 (1).
Not sure if that would be a "payment order". Best to check with a lawyer.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-12-2017, 10:00 AM
plainNamedDad44's Avatar
plainNamedDad44 plainNamedDad44 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 872
plainNamedDad44 is on a distinguished road
Default

Tayken, as always, thank you. Yes, I was looking at rule 31. The second paragraph of Law of Contempt - Pantalone Family Law : Pantalone Family Law states
"This difficult area of law most often arises in high conflict cases, frequently involving denial of access allegations. In fact and as the following case points out, the Family Law Rules specifically provide that contempt motions do not apply to payment orders (equalization of property, support arrears and costs)."

So I think I am onside. Regardless, I have an hour booked with my lawyer, at which point I will attempt to confirm further.

Further comments would be most appreciated.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-12-2017, 10:37 AM
plainNamedDad44's Avatar
plainNamedDad44 plainNamedDad44 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 872
plainNamedDad44 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by plainNamedDad44 View Post
Tayken, as always, thank you. Yes, I was looking at rule 31. The second paragraph of Law of Contempt - Pantalone Family Law : Pantalone Family Law states
"This difficult area of law most often arises in high conflict cases, frequently involving denial of access allegations. In fact and as the following case points out, the Family Law Rules specifically provide that contempt motions do not apply to payment orders (equalization of property, support arrears and costs)."

So I think I am onside. Regardless, I have an hour booked with my lawyer, at which point I will attempt to confirm further.

Further comments would be most appreciated.
On second thought I am not so sure, since the order dealt with the disposition of marital assets, regardless, the order was not a payment order.

Maybe just motion ?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-12-2017, 01:17 PM
Tayken's Avatar
Tayken Tayken is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 6,810
Tayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant future
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by plainNamedDad44 View Post
On second thought I am not so sure, since the order dealt with the disposition of marital assets, regardless, the order was not a payment order.

Maybe just motion ?
I am not a fan of "contempt" motions. The other rule you can rely upon is Rule 1.(8). It is a much friendlier way to handle the matter. I find people that rely upon this rule to request a remedy are often more successful than a contempt motion. Furthermore, the burden of evidence is not "beyond reasonable doubt" which is often the case with contempt motions.

Quote:
FAILURE TO OBEY ORDER
(8) If a person fails to obey an order in a case or a related case, the court may deal with the failure by making any order that it considers necessary for a just determination of the matter, including,
(a) an order for costs;

(b) an order dismissing a claim;

(c) an order striking out any application, answer, notice of motion, motion to change, response to motion to change, financial statement, affidavit, or any other document filed by a party;

(d) an order that all or part of a document that was required to be provided but was not, may not be used in the case;

(e) if the failure to obey was by a party, an order that the party is not entitled to any further order from the court unless the court orders otherwise;

(f) an order postponing the trial or any other step in the case; and

(g) on motion, a contempt order. O. Reg. 322/13, s. 1.
FAILURE TO FOLLOW RULES

(8.1) If a person fails to follow these rules, the court may deal with the failure by making any order described in subrule (8), other than a contempt order under clause (8) (g). O. Reg. 322/13, s. 1.
Also, in your case, do you really want someone to face a fine or jail? That is what you have to think about when contemplating "contempt". Usually "contempt" should be reserved for things that directly relate to custody and/or access.

Good Luck!
Tayken

Last edited by Tayken; 09-12-2017 at 01:19 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-12-2017, 01:33 PM
OrleansLawyer OrleansLawyer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,730
OrleansLawyer is a jewel in the roughOrleansLawyer is a jewel in the roughOrleansLawyer is a jewel in the rough
Default

Quote:
I am seeking ... Where to I specify this ?
You can serve a regular notice of motion along with your notice of contempt motion.

Whether a finding of contempt is what you want or not seems questionable. Tayken does a good job going through why and what could be done instead.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-12-2017, 03:38 PM
plainNamedDad44's Avatar
plainNamedDad44 plainNamedDad44 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 872
plainNamedDad44 is on a distinguished road
Default

OrleansLawyer and Tayken, thank you both for the timely concise advice. I will rely on Rule 1(8) with a regular notice of motion.

PND

Last edited by plainNamedDad44; 09-12-2017 at 03:43 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
motion vs motion to change question raven70 Divorce & Family Law 3 08-14-2011 11:30 AM
Ex is Military stillstrong Financial Issues 22 06-03-2011 06:31 PM
Motion to Vary - Applicant's affidavit dickstacie Divorce & Family Law 4 02-17-2010 03:26 PM
Procedural Help LV McBroke Divorce & Family Law 5 01-22-2007 10:02 AM
Appropriate Procedure gooddadgoingmad Divorce & Family Law 4 02-19-2006 02:44 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:03 AM.