This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EX Wife won't pay her part

My husband has 2 kids from a previous marriage (10 & 12). We have no kids. His ex has been nothing but a nightmare over the years and basically lives off her child support (2100.00/mth) and has the odd waitress job. She just finished with the 3rd guy in 8 years & the pressure is on us for $$$. My husband & I work very hard & are professionals. We have been faithful with all payments and never once swayed from the agreement arrangements. We have paid for all dental, medical, extra circular activties for years. But with the economy right now we are in a little crunch. The boys want to play hockey again this year & the agreement is 60/40 split for the financial part of all extra activities which we have never once asked for or collected. This year is different it will be approx 2000.00 for hockey & new equipment for both boys & I want her to contribute. AND she won't & Im pissed cause it has been constant screaming matches & threats over the phone. I want the boyes to play but I want her to pay up as well for once. I told him to deduct the 40% off over the next 2 months payments but he said he can't it's illegal?? Does anyone have any advice?? Can we legally force her to pay?? just to add fuel to the fire she said we have to take them over the long weekend which is her weekend cause shes going to vegas on girls weekend

Do you have all the receipts for all extra curricular stuff over the past few years. I wonder if you can take her to court and have her ordered to pay out what she owes. Also, not sure but at least one of the kids may be old enough to choose where he wants to live, look into having 1 or both move in with you guys

Comment

so the agreement is 60/40 and she has never paid her part in the past?? If that is the agreement and she pays her 40% I think the only way to get it changed is go back to court. If she hasn't been paying her 40% then add up the receipts and take her to small claims court to recoup the money she owes.

Comment

Your husband is right to be wary about 'deducting' section 7 expenses from ordered child support. They're two separate things.
        You can ask her to pay her portion for this season and sign them up or not.

The mistake of not having her pay or expect to pay her portion over the years is now coming to fruition.
        If you wish to go to court it would not necessarily go your way. You would need a record of the requests for all the monies she should have paid, reasons as to why enrollment proceeded without her consent/payment and reasons as to why you waited so long to enforce payment.

Comment

The onus is on her to pay for hockey and request reimbursement from you for 60%. It is simple really. Tell her that in a calm email(so you have proof) that you are not in a position to pay for 100% of hockey and that you are willing to contribute 60% as per your separation/divorce agreement. Ask her to let you know how much you need to make a cheque for, or if she wants, you can pay the hockey league directly for x amount which is 60%.

Comment

CS and section 7 expenses are very separate issues, it would not be wise to deduct CS due to any other expenses. If you are serious about pursuing the split in expenses then perhaps a registered letter. Sometimes starting with a registered letter short and sweet to the point, referring back to the court order/agreement will get their attention. Since you have an agreement that is not being lived up to you could add that if you are forced to proceed to court you also ask for all costs associated with the claim. Could be enough to open her eyes and do the right thing.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the great advise going to look into our options but regardless we have signed them up anyway. Now just have to deal with her.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X