Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing Child Support Order

Hello,

Just looking for some advice/guidance on the process for changing a child support order when the other parent can't be served/contacted...

Eldest child has graduated from university and so I believe that I need to remove him from the child support order.

Second eldest child is now 18 years old but enrolled in university. Do I need to simply update that she is still covered under the child support order because she is a post-secondary student?

I believe I need him to sign something agreeing to the changes but the thing is that I have no idea where he lives and he won't contact me. I had to get the child support court order to begin with because he had stopped paying on his own and stopped all contact with me and the kids. He ignored the whole court process when I went to get the child support order as well but at that time, I had known his address so I was able to serve him even though he didn't participate.

FRO has managed to track him down and get two payments from him but I don't think they can give me his address so that I can serve him the paperwork, can they?

So if he refuses all contact and I don't know where he lives to serve him, what would be the process for me to initiate the support order change?

He doesn't give me his annual income tax information either for us to re-calculate the support payment every year. So I'm thinking that all I need to do is continue using the last known income tax information (which the current support amounts are based on) and just remove the eldest child.

Any advice/guidance is very much appreciated!

Technically he is supposed to provide income info to update annually so support could have gone up since your last update. You will need to file a motion to change and request income information.

Someone else can comment on the process to serve and file when the person can’t be found. It may involve advertisements in local papers if you know where he lives. You may also want to speak to your caseworker at FRO to see if they can provide a last known address. Does he have an family? Connections on social media? Aliases you know of?

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
    Working...
    X