Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

Old 06-06-2014, 01:21 PM

sharong593 is on a distinguished road
Default odsp and marriage

I am currently on odsp and I would like to get married some day. I pay child support and I do not get ss. I make 9000.00 a year and my ex makes close to 45000.00. if I do get married I lose all my odsp right? does my new husband have to pay the CS? I should have asked for SS a long time ago, we have not been together since 2007.....any answers will help.thanks in advance. I am also at the min to not pay any support but I pay 75.00 a month for them.
Old 06-06-2014, 01:30 PM

DowntroddenDad will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharong593 View Post
I am currently on odsp and I would like to get married some day. I pay child support and I do not get ss. I make 9000.00 a year and my ex makes close to 45000.00. if I do get married I lose all my odsp right? does my new husband have to pay the CS? I should have asked for SS a long time ago, we have not been together since 2007.....any answers will help.thanks in advance. I am also at the min to not pay any support but I pay 75.00 a month for them.
You will need to talk to your ODSP support worker about what happens with regards to ODSP when you get married.

You are right you should have asked for spousal support a long time ago. Its not impossible now but may be difficult.

Your "new" husband would normally not have to pay CS, it is based off your income. The only time it would come into play is if one of the parties claims undue hardship, and that is very difficult to prove.
Old 06-06-2014, 01:42 PM

Rioe will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharong593 View Post
It's very supportive of you to pay some CS for your children even though your income is below the table threshold. Was this imputed to you by a court, did you agree to it in a separation agreement, or is it just voluntary? Whichever it is will determine how hard the fight to discontinue it would be. But you've set a precedent for paying it, so it would continue even if your ODSP dropped to zero after you got married. The CS money would technically come from your new husband, as he is now supporting you instead of it coming from taxpayers, although it wouldn't be based on his actual income. Why should your children receive less money from you just because you got married?

As for spousal support, that ship has sailed a long time ago. I think you would be extremely hard pressed to demonstrate an entitlement to it now, after 7 years of not needing it and possibly getting remarried.
Old 06-06-2014, 10:19 PM

sharong593 is on a distinguished road

The child support was an agreement we made during a court hearing.....he threatened to take me to court for the 129.00 I was paying. I am bi-polar and am afraid if I take a job even part time, I might not fufill my needs at it. I have boughts of depression and anxiety that make it hard for me to get out some days.
Old 06-06-2014, 10:57 PM

Serene is on a distinguished road

Well good for you for contributing to your children despite your condition. Kudos!