Need advice on Communication with Ex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by littleman View Post
    her lawyer is on border line of conflict of interest. If the judge was to know or the lawyers boss was to know this was pro bono that could pose an issue.
    There is NOTHING in the Rules of Professional Conduct prohibiting a lawyer to provide legal services to family/friends.

It is none of the judges business whether the matter is being dealt with on a pro bono basis (except when costs are at issue) and it is CERTAINLY no one elses business; any matters between a lawyer and his boss is between THEM.

Comment

My ex's lawyer is a known 'ambulance chaser.' It is also common knowledge that his lawyer actually takes bicycles and other sporting equipment in lieu of retainers. Needless to say he can't get anyone besides relatives to answer his phones (and that hasn't been too successful for him of late).

With this in mind, my lawyer keeps communication with this lawyer to a bare minimum.

Comment

Thanks for responses. Like everything in family law....no rules or if they aren't followed no repercussions.

So my ex considers emails not about kids as harassment. Her lawyer won't answer my questions unless they come from my lawyer. Complete BS.

Our separation agreement stipulates she had 30 days to take info to bank to be removed off title....no response to my emails.

Need life insurance policy number for my will as stipulated in separation agreement....no response.

Each month section 7 expenses are to be paid....she doesn't and owes me over $500 over last 4 months.

I told her lawyer I am now self representing so would appreciate a response. So hopefully will hear. If they try and stick me w her legal bill that would be crazy.

There are zero repercussions for her not doing any of the above. If it was me they would be all over me.
        Sorry for venting, just staring at my $12,000 legal bill for nothing.

Comment

I understand your frustration.

I would recommend that, failing any attempts to communicate with her lawyer, you keep your requests and battles to the courtroom. Make motions and set dates. Document everything carefully and when it is your turn to talk to the justice you succinctly explain your situation and ask for penalties to be levied for each day/week/month the opposing counsel doesn't comply. I think it is really the only way to make the other side accountable for dragging their heels.

You can wait a long time. I believe that unless there is a notice of motion with a specific reply-by date specified they really don't have to comply. You, or your lawyer, can send all the letters in the world but they amount to nothing.

I believe things are doing differently province to province so what I am saying very well may not apply in your case. I live in Alberta.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X