How is school time allotted when determining 40% threshold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How is school time allotted when determining 40% threshold

We often discuss in the forum what counts as "time" with regards to the 40% threshold. I recently read a very complete look at the subject:

https://www.canlii.org/en/on/onsc/do...9onsc6060.html

Summary: Because the agreement was voluntary, the judge looked at the intent of the parties. Since the intent was shared custody, he assigned the school time to both parties.

However: Judge did point out reasons as to why one parent might be credited with the school time over the other.

Very interesting. The judge relied on case law that is inter-jurisdictional. Nice. I wish they did this more often.

This judge is very well-read when it comes to case law. Even cited Czutrin. Looking forward to reading more case law from this judge!

Comment

How can this judge preside over family matters if he never practiced family law in his 31 year carrier?

https://www.therecord.com/news-story...tchener-judge/

"Broad, 58, has been practising law for 31 years. He’s been with the Siskinds law firm in London since 2002.
      He focused on resolving commercial and business disputes. He also practiced municipal and administrative law, construction law and alternative dispute resolution."

Also never heard of a decent family law judge up North way. All of them for some reason are out west (Hamilton, Kitchener).

Comment

wow. I just noticed who the Judge is...he was a good friend and colleague when I practiced in London, ON.

We worked on many files together. He is exceptionally smart, measured, and practical in his arguments. The family courts are lucky to have him.

Comment

Originally posted by Tayken View Post
          Very interesting. The judge relied on case law that is inter-jurisdictional. Nice. I wish they did this more often.

This judge is very well-read when it comes to case law. Even cited Czutrin. Looking forward to reading more case law from this judge!
          Is it better for litigants to consider to use only jurisdictional case laws?

Comment

Originally posted by Brampton33 View Post
            Is it me or do I notice a repeat pattern when I read MTC's? Mother and Father separate when child(ren) are very young. They go through court process and enter into agreement on consent for 50/50 parenting which gets turned into court order.

Years go by and then bam, the Mother (who seems to always be the Applicant) seeks to claw back away from the 50/50 parenting schedule (below the 40% threshold) whereby the outcome would see Father lose time with kids and is thrown back into a Table CS situation. So basically enjoy your 50/50 parenting until your ex tries to take a 2nd or 3rd kick at the can? Is that how it works?
            What happened here was that the father dropped the kids off at the mothers before school and picked them up from the mothers after school so she claimed she got the school hours.

The judge said so what? Both parents interacted with the school for the care of their children and should both be credited with the hours because their original agreement targeted 50/50.

The applicant tried tried to break the spirit of the original deal and the judge was not having it.

Did I read it right that it took 3 years for this to make it through to trial?
            Does it matter if I keep my receipts for items for the kids?

Comment

Originally posted by Brampton33 View Post
              Is it me or do I notice a repeat pattern when I read MTC's? Mother and Father separate when child(ren) are very young. They go through court process and enter into agreement on consent for 50/50 parenting which gets turned into court order.

Years go by and then bam, the Mother (who seems to always be the Applicant) seeks to claw back away from the 50/50 parenting schedule (below the 40% threshold) whereby the outcome would see Father lose time with kids and is thrown back into a Table CS situation. So basically enjoy your 50/50 parenting until your ex tries to take a 2nd or 3rd kick at the can? Is that how it works?
              Have you considered that you may have a form of PTSD from your recent family law experience. Overturning a order made on consent requires a material change in circumstance. 99.99% of these agreements never see court or a challenge ever again. You have a better chance of winning the lotto than seeing court again...

You are not going back to court.
              You are the parent to your children.
              You are a good parent.
              The other parent has a HUGE mountain to climb to even disrupt your agreement made on consent and is now a final order.

Your anxiety is not necessary. Keep saying those things to yourself every time you start to worry about losing your joint residency and joint custody. Your fears are easy for learned contributors to see in your responses Brampton33.

Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT) would probably be great for you. You are a logical thinker.
              Last edited by Tayken; 12-31-2021, 12:06 PM.

Comment

I agree with Tayken very very much. Exercise helps tremendously too and in some cases medical is needed.

"Your anxiety is not necessary" but it sure seems like it is when you are in it.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                Working...
                X