CAS access

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CAS access

I have reported my DS(3) grandfather to CAS for sexual contact. Ex lives with grandfather so I gave him the option of meeting child at a relative's house, park etc. It was communicated to him that the child not be taken to his home where grandfather is present pending CAS decision. I found out he took son to his home where grandfather was present. He is claiming grandfather was absent. Can I deny ex access? I don't want to but is there any other alternative? Ex gets EOW.

I am trying to get this straight. Is the following sound right?

The EOW access is court ordered.
    You reported the Grandfather to CAS.
    You unilaterally decided where your ex was allowed to go with the child.
    Now you want to unilaterally deny access because the ex didn't follow your orders.

Comment

Originally posted by Kart321 View Post
      I have reported my DS(3) grandfather to CAS for sexual contact. Ex lives with grandfather so I gave him the option of meeting child at a relative's house, park etc. It was communicated to him that the child not be taken to his home where grandfather is present pending CAS decision. I found out he took son to his home where grandfather was present. He is claiming grandfather was absent. Can I deny ex access? I don't want to but is there any other alternative? Ex gets EOW.
      Talk to CAS and see what they say. If they've said child is not to be at that residence, and the father is aware then this would be very troublesome and should be reported to them to follow up on. If they've said the child should not be around the grandparent and not specifically at the residence, dad may be able to skirt it if there's no way to prove whether the grandparent was there or not.

Ask them for guidance on what to do for the time being.

Comment

Originally posted by blinkandimgone View Post
        Ask them for guidance on what to do for the time being.
        Thanks I will ask them

Comment

Thanks I will ask them
          I don't understand how the first step could be to go to an internet forum for direction and report this instead of the CAS. It doesn't make sense to me. It is like not wearing pants on public transport, every day.

Comment

Again, irrelevant and unhelpful. Just because someone asks online doesn't mean that was the first or only step they took.

Comment

Originally posted by pinkHouses View Post
              I don't understand how the first step could be to go to an internet forum for direction and report this instead of the CAS. It doesn't make sense to me. It is like not wearing pants on public transport, every day.
              CAS had given me a disclaimer saying they don't deal with access and custody which is why I didn't bother asking. I have never dealt with CAS before. They seemed bombarded with cases when I called them about my son so I don't want to take up their time anymore than I absolutely have to. But thank you for your input.

Comment

CAS had given me a disclaimer saying they don't deal with access and custody which is why I didn't bother asking. I have never dealt with CAS before. They seemed bombarded with cases when I called them about my son so I don't want to take up their time anymore than I absolutely have to. But thank you for your input.
                I've dealt with CAS before- which city are you in?

Don't get discouraged- there are really great case workers and supervisors in each city (from my experience). I have dealt with them both in the City of Toronto and the Region of Peel.

Also- please use them- they are great resources. I would call and ask to have an appointment with a case worker or supervisor at a scheduled time. They will usually allot about 1/2hr to speak with you. Tell them your history, if you've been involved with CAS in any other City, and ask if they can monitor your situation.

Good luck.

Do you have legal counsel? or access to a legal aid clinic?

Comment

What is going on here? Where are the police, cas, court?
                  You make it sound serious, but then are trying to handle it yourself...

Comment

Originally posted by StillPaying View Post
                    What is going on here? Where are the police, cas, court?
                    You make it sound serious, but then are trying to handle it yourself...
                    I do have a lawyer who told me their prior experience with CAS has been subpar. As per them because my child is so young they won't talk about the misconduct and CAS will be unable to find the grandparent at fault. My child is quite shy they take a while to open up to strangers. When he talks about what the grandparent did it won't be the entire story but pieces here and there partly because they are young and also because the grandparent has coached them not to talk. Right now it's my word against my ex's because there is no physical proof.

Comment

I'm no Sherlock - I'd let police and cas do their job.

Comment

Originally posted by iona6656 View Post
                        I've dealt with CAS before- which city are you in?

Also- please use them- they are great resources. I would call and ask to have an appointment with a case worker or supervisor at a scheduled time. They will usually allot about 1/2hr to speak with you. Tell them your history, if you've been involved with CAS in any other City, and ask if they can monitor your situation.

Good luck.

Do you have legal counsel? or access to a legal aid clinic?
                        Thank you. I do have an appointment booked with CAS and I have legal counsel.

Comment

CAS reports are used in courts for access.

The way CAS runs is that they are like little franchises, the more cases they get the more money they get, that doesn't mean that they do not employ caring and competent Social Workers. A results based thing as I see it. A cynical but accurate view.

Don't feel bad about "bothering" them about this. Your concern and query is legitimate and important, you don't have a choice but to enquire.

Doesn't your ex care about this type of abuse? No matter who the abuser was I would be enraged at the abuser and on the lookout for protecting my child if the abuse was proven. Hidden cameras, the works if I suspected something.

Comment

CAS if there is an issue will bring the matter before the court and remove the child under the Child and Family Services Act. Every time CAS tells you that the child is not supposed to see the other parent or someone else question why they are not bringing the matter forward to the court so that course of action can be taken.

CAS creates so much unnecessary conflict with "advice" and non-action on files. No CAS worker should give "advice" on access or custody. Unless CAS has an order in hand... They have no authority to instruct any parent to remove access from the other.

Comment

Originally posted by Tayken View Post
                              CAS if there is an issue will bring the matter before the court and remove the child under the Child and Family Services Act. Every time CAS tells you that the child is not supposed to see the other parent or someone else question why they are not bringing the matter forward to the court so that course of action can be taken.

CAS creates so much unnecessary conflict with "advice" and non-action on files. No CAS worker should give "advice" on access or custody. Unless CAS has an order in hand... They have no authority to instruct any parent to remove access from the other.
                              this is what I find so odd. When I dealt with CAS_the caseworker who interviewed me said IF I was to go back to my ex- they would intervene and potentially remove the child from my care.

They never gave me advice. They just provided me with resources - and more importantly drilled me on what my plans were in terms of parenting- there was heavy emphasis on "you better not take that child back to the house".

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X