Paragraph 8 of a SC Brief Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paragraph 8 of a SC Brief Help

I am looking for some unbiased help on this as I have been known to be very wordy as that is how I know I am expressing all facts.

Is this to the point and brief enough? Does it explain enough to formulate an idea on what is occurring?

Child Protection

1. There have been proven claims of emotional abuse from the Respondent toward the child.

2. The child has stated he will resort to suicide if forced to spend any time with the Respondent.

3. Immediate medical attention was sought which resulted in a referral to a child therapist and child psychiatrist.

4. The Respondent has claimed the child is seeking attention and is not being abused nor suicidal.

5. The Respondent is unwilling to participate in child protection mediation with Family and Children's Services.

6. The Respondent is unwilling to participate is therapy with the child.

7. The Respondent is currently seeking to abolish a 10 year status quo while the child is claiming to resort to suicide and substantiated claims of emotional abuse.

8. The Respondent is currently seeking split decision-making responsibility while never having decision-making responsibility in the 10 years of the child's life.

9. The Respondent is currently seeking to have majority parenting-time and for me to have every other weekend parenting-time.

10. The Respondent is currently seeking to have the child reside with him full time.

11. The Respondent's sole claim of material change is that the child resides with my parents in [location] and not with me in [location].

12. My parents provide before and after school care of both my children while my husband and I are at work.

13. My mother provided a sworn affidavit attesting to this on November 30th, 2021.

14. I have offered to provide the Respondent with the security camera footage of my residence proving the child has been residing with me.

15. Through a Request to Admit, the Respondent stated his allegations of material change have been based solely on his personal observations and are "a belief and not necessarily a fact."

16. The child has refused to spend time with the Respondent since March 25th, 2022 claiming he does not feel safe and if he was forced to go, he would harm himself.

17. The Office of the Children's Lawyer declined involvement on two separate occasions.

Child Support

18. The Respondent made $70,101 in 2021 meaning child support shall be altered to $654.95 per month.

Back Child Support

19. The Respondent's income in 2020 was $171,187.00 equating to $1,451.55 per month ($17,418.60 per year)

20. The Respondent was paying child support based on his 2019 income of $69,702.00 equating to $651.00 per month ($7,812 per year)

21. This would equate to $9,606.60 in retroactive child support owed to the child for the 2020 calendar year

22. The Respondent paid $7,500 of the retroactive child support as part of the terms of a written agreement. The Respondent then reneged on the terms of the agreement

23. With the Respondent paying $7,500 in retroactive child support, that would leave a remainder of $2,106.60 owed to the child.

Section 7 Expenses

24. In 2019, the Respondent became responsible for paying a fixed amount in section 7 expenses due to a documented history of declining to provide reimbursement for agreed upon activities.

25. The Respondent is seeking to return to a percentaged based system while also stating he now objects to the child participating in summer camp and hockey. Two activities the child has been participating in for various years prior.

Section 8 lays out the issues to be settled. I would start with the initial motion stuff and then go to the parenting time. You don't have to argue his case or make his statements. You make your own. That is your biggest issue, you are laying out his case. You lay out your own!

The case initially filed with the court involved updated and retroactive support and calculation of section 7 expenses. Since the matter was heard on DATE, parenting time has become an issue as the child has experienced some mental health concerns related to unsupervised time with the Respondent. I am now requesting supervised parenting time and that the Respondent be ordered to participate in therapy/parenting sessions.

Updated and Retroactive Child Support

The Respondent's current income is XXXX for a total of XXX per month in child support. I am seeking to have monthly support updated immediately to xxx. The Respondent has paid XXX for 2022 for a total underpayment of XXX.

18. The Respondent's 2021 income was $70,101 for at total of $654.95 per month. The Respondent has paid XXX total for an underpayment of XXXX.

19. The Respondent's 2020 income was $171,187.00 for a total of $1,451.55 per month. The Respondent has paid XXX total for an underpayment of XXX.

20. The Respondent's 2019 income was $69,702.00 for a total of $651.00 per month. The Respondent has paid XXX total for an underpayment of XXX.

Total child support arrears owing from 2019 to date is XXX.

24. In 2019, the parties agreed to a fixed amount of section 7 expenses. The Respondent has not agreed to any expenses including camp and hockey since 2019 and has paid nothing towards these expenses. I am requesting the Respondent pay XXX as his percentage of the expenses based on his annual income each year. Attached at exhibit xyz is a chart outlining the expense and the Respondent's proportionate share.

Parenting Time

The endorsement of JUDGE on DATE requested (not sure if this is the right word) OCL involvement in the case. OCL has declined to take the case.
    Since DATE, CAS has been involved in the case due to third party complaints (??). Attached at exhibit xyz is the file.

1. ON DATE, the child stated he would take his own life if forced to spend any time with the Respondent. He was assessed by MEDICAL on DATE with a finding of INSERT.

ON DATE, DATE and DATE, I requested the Respondent participate in THERAPY details with child. Attached at exhibit xyz are the emails/letters. The Respondent through his counsel advised he would not participate.

I am requesting that the Respondent be ordered to participate in XYZ courses with CAS; THERAPY name; and, THERAPY with the child. I am also requesting that until such time that the Respondent has completed these programs, parenting time between the Respondent and CHILD be supervised only at either SUPERVISED ACCESS CENTRE or by a party we both agree on.

Comment

Hi- I would add more facts.

Dates, On April 5th, via email the Respondent said"
      On 3 occasions, April 6th, April 9th, April 11th, I reached out to XYZ
      Who proved emotional abuse?
      Question- Are you claiming there is a material change or is he? If its him, its on him to prove it ...
      2 separate occasions - Jan 1st, and Jan 4th- at age X and Y
      I would list out all the times you have suggested therapy to him

Good luck - also this isn't going to get far

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
        Section 8 lays out the issues to be settled. I would start with the initial motion stuff and then go to the parenting time. You don't have to argue his case or make his statements. You make your own. That is your biggest issue, you are laying out his case. You lay out your own!

The case initially filed with the court involved updated and retroactive support and calculation of section 7 expenses. Since the matter was heard on DATE, parenting time has become an issue as the child has experienced some mental health concerns related to unsupervised time with the Respondent. I am now requesting supervised parenting time and that the Respondent be ordered to participate in therapy/parenting sessions.

Updated and Retroactive Child Support

The Respondent's current income is XXXX for a total of XXX per month in child support. I am seeking to have monthly support updated immediately to xxx. The Respondent has paid XXX for 2022 for a total underpayment of XXX.

18. The Respondent's 2021 income was $70,101 for at total of $654.95 per month. The Respondent has paid XXX total for an underpayment of XXXX.

19. The Respondent's 2020 income was $171,187.00 for a total of $1,451.55 per month. The Respondent has paid XXX total for an underpayment of XXX.

20. The Respondent's 2019 income was $69,702.00 for a total of $651.00 per month. The Respondent has paid XXX total for an underpayment of XXX.

Total child support arrears owing from 2019 to date is XXX.

24. In 2019, the parties agreed to a fixed amount of section 7 expenses. The Respondent has not agreed to any expenses including camp and hockey since 2019 and has paid nothing towards these expenses. I am requesting the Respondent pay XXX as his percentage of the expenses based on his annual income each year. Attached at exhibit xyz is a chart outlining the expense and the Respondent's proportionate share.

Parenting Time

The endorsement of JUDGE on DATE requested (not sure if this is the right word) OCL involvement in the case. OCL has declined to take the case.
        Since DATE, CAS has been involved in the case due to third party complaints (??). Attached at exhibit xyz is the file.

1. ON DATE, the child stated he would take his own life if forced to spend any time with the Respondent. He was assessed by MEDICAL on DATE with a finding of INSERT.

ON DATE, DATE and DATE, I requested the Respondent participate in THERAPY details with child. Attached at exhibit xyz are the emails/letters. The Respondent through his counsel advised he would not participate.

I am requesting that the Respondent be ordered to participate in XYZ courses with CAS; THERAPY name; and, THERAPY with the child. I am also requesting that until such time that the Respondent has completed these programs, parenting time between the Respondent and CHILD be supervised only at either SUPERVISED ACCESS CENTRE or by a party we both agree on.

This was exceptional! Thank you so much. I was also not aware I could add exhibits to a Settlement Conference Brief. TIL

Comment

Just a note here, I'm shocked that OCL has not taken the case. How recent was the last request made?

Comment

There are no proven claims. No evidence. Nothing. OCL, CAS and court have no issue continuing access, and no interest in stepping in.

Ex had weekly access for years and eow access even longer.
            A couple months ago, OP was ready to leave kid with ex for 4 months.
            OP filed to update support.
            Ex filed to increase parenting time/ switch custody.
            Ex filed CAS report against OP - closed.
            Kid/Teacher called CAS against Ex - closed.
            Kid/Teacher call CAS again - closed.
            Kid claimed suicide - then access stopped.
            Again. OCL/CAS, even drs have no interest in stepping in.
            OP has no interest in enforcing access.

OP/StepDad have filed ridiculous motions, which makes the whole story questionable. Their material is poorly done. Their understanding of the process, briefs, offers, everything is off. They need to slow done, work with an actual lawyer - and truly understand the consequences of their current situation.

Comment

Originally posted by LMum View Post
              Just a note here, I'm shocked that OCL has not taken the case. How recent was the last request made?
              Made March 25th, 2022, after the emotional abuse and the suicide. Declined like a week later.

Comment

Originally posted by Hide on Bush View Post
                Made March 25th, 2022, after the emotional abuse and the suicide. Declined like a week later.
                I know its a little off topic to go into the OCL stuff. But can it be appealed? They took my case and the details were not as extreme as yours. Did your ex fill out the intake form?

Honestly I really feel there needs to OCL involvement here and could really help your case.

Comment

Originally posted by StillPaying View Post
                  There are no proven claims. No evidence. Nothing. OCL, CAS and court have no issue continuing access, and no interest in stepping in.

OP/StepDad have filed ridiculous motions, which makes the whole story questionable. Their material is poorly done. Their understanding of the process, briefs, offers, everything is off. They need to slow done, work with an actual lawyer - and truly understand the consequences of their current situation.
                  Unsure where this is coming from but its wildly inaccurate. I mean some things here your just completely making it up in your own head...

The CAS report states "claim of emotional abuse has been deemed accurate". Report also states "Risk severity of continued emotional abuse is "Moderate"". There is 10 pages of notes from 4 different case workers (in the report) that has my Son saying all of the stuff his Dad has done.

I have a letter from the therapist at Maltby stating after speaking with my Son there was a risk of him harming himself when with his Father. That was the reason for the priority referral to a therapist for extended care.

I mean outside of the above, I have text messages that my Ex has sent to my Son saying he's just seeking attention by claiming he was going to hurt himself. Telling him to "stop being a drama queen", "this is stupid, stop whining" etc.

Ex has never had weekly access. No idea where you got that idea from. Not once in the 10 years of my Son's life. At minimum my Ex had no visits to supervised visitation from 2012-2016. From 2016 to 2019 he had EOW. From 2019 to present he had EOW and Wednesday for 2 hours.

No I didn't... I was seeking if I was required to have my Ex watch my Son while away for work for 4 months when I had my husband available.

True. Ex was paying CS on $69,000 a year while making $170,000+.

Little more complicated...

Ex filed to have:

majority parenting-time (having me only have EOW and something hes never even had close to)

split decision-making responsibility (something hes never had)

residency of the child (something hes never had)

CS to be based on where the child resides and not based on income. Ie wanted me to pay him CS while making $40,000 and him making $171,000

Removal of s7 expenses

All based on material that I am using my grandparents as day care of my children. Ex has even admitted that these claims are based on his belief and has no facts to back it up.

Ex also told my Son (in a text message) "tell your mom you want 50/50 and I'll buy you a Playstation" and "If you don't get 50/50 then you will never see [Ex's dog] again."

True. Ex called CAS saying I was withholding time. Showed CAS the security footage and they closed the file instantly because it showed me doing the complete opposite. However, a week prior to my Ex calling, I called because my Son was saying my Ex was beating his dog in front of my Son. This turned out to be true, noted in the CAS report, and admitted by my Ex.

Whoever the third party was, it only happened once, and that file is still open but delayed because Ex won't do mediation, participate in a safety plan meeting, or even take the calls from CAS.

True. Ex stopped his own access for 2 weeks, then started claiming Son was seeking attention because after two weeks he was still feeling the same. At that point, Son decided he was just not going to go because he didn't feel safe.

OCL isn't. But I am still working with CAS and my Son is having weekly counselling sessions while we await therapy. I don't know what your experience is, but when you seek therapy, its not a quick process to get long term care after a referral.

[QUOTE=StillPaying;250403]
                  /QUOTE]

I'd love to hear what else I can do. Please.

Between December 2021 and May 2022 I have (in order):

a) Provided an Offer to Settle offering the my Ex an addition weekend of parenting-time per month in addition to an extra week during my Son's summer vacation. I also stated I would facilitate the travel for the parenting-time (currently Ex is ordered to do all the travelling). Ex denied the offer because I asked for an extra 50km radius on where I can move.

b) Provided an Offer to Settle offering my Ex parenting-time of my Son every weekend from after school on Friday until 6:00pm on Sunday. Additionally, I offered my Ex to obtain an extra full week of parenting-time during my Son's summer vacation. This offer was denied by my Ex because again I was asking for an extra 50km.

c) I obtained a children’s counsellor for my Son after he made claims of the his Dad emotionally abusing him. That counsellor has been seeing my Son ever since.

d) I worked with my Son's teachers and Principal to get my Son to participate in the Rainbow Program which would allow my Son to express his negative feelings in a positive form through art.

e) As a result of the claims of emotional abuse, I contacted Maltby Center and spoke with a child therapist to try and obtain tools to ensure only positive remarks surrounding my Ex were expressed to my Son;

f) Due to my Son's claims of resorting to suicide if he was to go with my Ex, I contacted my Son's family doctor and obtained a referral for a child psychiatrist;

g) I contacted Maltby Center and obtained a referral for a child therapist through a senior mental health therapist who specializes with children;

h) I started working with my Son's Principal, Teachers, and my Son's counsellor to establish weekly counselling sessions with my Son and his counsellor during school hours prior to his scheduled visits with my Ex in order to hopefully encourage positive feelings for my Son to go.

j) Through an Offer to Settle, I requested Child Protection Mediation between my Ex and I which was subsequently denied by my Ex that day;

k) I requested Child Protection Mediation between my Ex and my Son which was subsequently denied by my Ex that day;

l) I have offered my Ex to meet with my Son at various locations where we would be present to spend the day with him, such as the gym, Trampoline Park etc. My Ex has not answer any of our offers to date.

m) I have offered for my Ex to make up all of the missed time with my Son at the completion of the therapy. Ex denied.

My Ex has stated "This is a parenting issue, not an abuse one. [child] doesn't like my parenting and you should be getting on board with my parenting to make this easier for me." All while that parenting has resulted in abuse claims and suicidal thoughts...

As for telephone calls and FaceTime, my Son refuses to speak with my Ex. My Son literally asked my Ex to write a letter apologizing for swearing at him, and my Ex still refuses to write it stating I will use his grammar mistakes against him (seriously).

Before the claims of emotional abuse and suicide, I have bribed my Son to go. He refused. I have punished my Son to go. He didn't care.

It also doesn't help that my Ex has texted my Son, as of two weeks ago, blaming my husband and I for all of this. Saying, and I quote "[child] your just seeking attention and your mom and [my husband] are giving it to you making you feel like you can keep defying me."

My Ex has continued to ignore that my Son has claimed emotional abuse from my Ex and has said he would kill himself if he would go there.

How else could I facilitate access.

OP/StepDad have filed ridiculous motions, which makes the whole story questionable.
                  I have filed two motions. One seeking my husband to represent me and the other for a dismissal because my Ex didn't provide any substantiation to his Motion to Change. This prompted an endorsement requiring my Ex to file an Affidavit to support his Motion.

Their material is poorly done. Their understanding of the process, briefs, offers, everything is off. They need to slow done, work with an actual lawyer - and truly understand the consequences of their current situation.
                  This is why I am seeking assistance and thankfully people here are willing to assist. I mean if you would have provided anything even close to accurate in your post then even that would be helpful, but you left TONS of information out that I have posted in order to ensure your narrative appeared correct. I mean some of the stuff you posted wasn't even close to being true ie ex having weekly parenting-time, or me trying to get my Ex to watch my Son for 4 months...
                  Last edited by Hide on Bush; 05-04-2022, 01:36 PM.

Comment

I know its a little off topic to go into the OCL stuff. But can it be appealed? They took my case and the details were not as extreme as yours. Did your ex fill out the intake form?

Honestly I really feel there needs to OCL involvement here and could really help your case.
                    When it was denied the first time (when the emotional abuse occurred) I appealed it. It was denied again. Then when the suicide topic came up, the Judge sought it again. It was again denied.

Comment

[QUOTE=Hide on Bush;250406]Unsure where this is coming from but its wildly inaccurate. I mean some things here your just completely making it up in your own head...

The CAS report states "claim of emotional abuse has been deemed accurate". Report also states "Risk severity of continued emotional abuse is "Moderate"". There is 10 pages of notes from 4 different case workers (in the report) that has my Son saying all of the stuff his Dad has done.

I have a letter from the therapist at Maltby stating after speaking with my Son there was a risk of him harming himself when with his Father. That was the reason for the priority referral to a therapist for extended care.

I mean outside of the above, I have text messages that my Ex has sent to my Son saying he's just seeking attention by claiming he was going to hurt himself. Telling him to "stop being a drama queen", "this is stupid, stop whining" etc.

Ex has never had weekly access. No idea where you got that idea from. Not once in the 10 years of my Son's life. At minimum my Ex had no visits to supervised visitation from 2012-2016. From 2016 to 2019 he had EOW. From 2019 to present he had EOW and Wednesday for 2 hours.

No I didn't... I was seeking if I was required to have my Ex watch my Son while away for work for 4 months when I had my husband available.

True. Ex was paying CS on $69,000 a year while making $170,000+.

Little more complicated...

Ex filed to have:

majority parenting-time (having me only have EOW and something hes never even had close to)

split decision-making responsibility (something hes never had)

residency of the child (something hes never had)

CS to be based on where the child resides and not based on income. Ie wanted me to pay him CS while making $40,000 and him making $171,000

Removal of s7 expenses

All based on material that I am using my grandparents as day care of my children. Ex has even admitted that these claims are based on his belief and has no facts to back it up.

Ex also told my Son (in a text message) "tell your mom you want 50/50 and I'll buy you a Playstation" and "If you don't get 50/50 then you will never see [Ex's dog] again."

True. Ex called CAS saying I was withholding time. Showed CAS the security footage and they closed the file instantly because it showed me doing the complete opposite. However, a week prior to my Ex calling, I called because my Son was saying my Ex was beating his dog in front of my Son. This turned out to be true, noted in the CAS report, and admitted by my Ex.

Whoever the third party was, it only happened once, and that file is still open but delayed because Ex won't do mediation, participate in a safety plan meeting, or even take the calls from CAS.

True. Ex stopped his own access for 2 weeks, then started claiming Son was seeking attention because after two weeks he was still feeling the same. At that point, Son decided he was just not going to go because he didn't feel safe.

OCL isn't. But I am still working with CAS and my Son is having weekly counselling sessions while we await therapy. I don't know what your experience is, but when you seek therapy, its not a quick process to get long term care after a referral.

/QUOTE]

I'd love to hear what else I can do. Please.

Between December 2021 and May 2022 I have (in order):

a) Provided an Offer to Settle offering the my Ex an addition weekend of parenting-time per month in addition to an extra week during my Son's summer vacation. I also stated I would facilitate the travel for the parenting-time (currently Ex is ordered to do all the travelling). Ex denied the offer because I asked for an extra 50km radius on where I can move.

b) Provided an Offer to Settle offering my Ex parenting-time of my Son every weekend from after school on Friday until 6:00pm on Sunday. Additionally, I offered my Ex to obtain an extra full week of parenting-time during my Son's summer vacation. This offer was denied by my Ex because again I was asking for an extra 50km.

c) I obtained a children’s counsellor for my Son after he made claims of the his Dad emotionally abusing him. That counsellor has been seeing my Son ever since.

d) I worked with my Son's teachers and Principal to get my Son to participate in the Rainbow Program which would allow my Son to express his negative feelings in a positive form through art.

e) As a result of the claims of emotional abuse, I contacted Maltby Center and spoke with a child therapist to try and obtain tools to ensure only positive remarks surrounding my Ex were expressed to my Son;

f) Due to my Son's claims of resorting to suicide if he was to go with my Ex, I contacted my Son's family doctor and obtained a referral for a child psychiatrist;

g) I contacted Maltby Center and obtained a referral for a child therapist through a senior mental health therapist who specializes with children;

h) I started working with my Son's Principal, Teachers, and my Son's counsellor to establish weekly counselling sessions with my Son and his counsellor during school hours prior to his scheduled visits with my Ex in order to hopefully encourage positive feelings for my Son to go.

j) Through an Offer to Settle, I requested Child Protection Mediation between my Ex and I which was subsequently denied by my Ex that day;

k) I requested Child Protection Mediation between my Ex and my Son which was subsequently denied by my Ex that day;

l) I have offered my Ex to meet with my Son at various locations where we would be present to spend the day with him, such as the gym, Trampoline Park etc. My Ex has not answer any of our offers to date.

m) I have offered for my Ex to make up all of the missed time with my Son at the completion of the therapy. Ex denied.

My Ex has stated "This is a parenting issue, not an abuse one. [child] doesn't like my parenting and you should be getting on board with my parenting to make this easier for me." All while that parenting has resulted in abuse claims and suicidal thoughts...

As for telephone calls and FaceTime, my Son refuses to speak with my Ex. My Son literally asked my Ex to write a letter apologizing for swearing at him, and my Ex still refuses to write it stating I will use his grammar mistakes against him (seriously).

Before the claims of emotional abuse and suicide, I have bribed my Son to go. He refused. I have punished my Son to go. He didn't care.

It also doesn't help that my Ex has texted my Son, as of two weeks ago, blaming my husband and I for all of this. Saying, and I quote "[child] your just seeking attention and your mom and [my husband] are giving it to you making you feel like you can keep defying me."

My Ex has continued to ignore that my Son has claimed emotional abuse from my Ex and has said he would kill himself if he would go there.

How else could I facilitate access.

I have filed two motions. One seeking my husband to represent me and the other for a dismissal because my Ex didn't provide any substantiation to his Motion to Change. This prompted an endorsement requiring my Ex to file an Affidavit to support his Motion.

This is why I am seeking assistance and thankfully people here are willing to assist. I mean if you would have provided anything even close to accurate in your post then even that would be helpful, but you left TONS of information out that I have posted in order to ensure your narrative appeared correct. I mean some of the stuff you posted wasn't even close to being true ie ex having weekly parenting-time, or me trying to get my Ex to watch my Son for 4 months...

There’s no need to continue to defend yourself. Your ex filed a motion and you have to respond. Now that it’s before the court you are obligated to follow through.

Comment

Originally posted by Hide on Bush View Post
                        When it was denied the first time (when the emotional abuse occurred) I appealed it. It was denied again. Then when the suicide topic came up, the Judge sought it again. It was again denied.
                        First of all, please you don't need to explain yourself to other posters who seem to always question your parenting. Don't even respond to that anymore. You're doing all you can to protect your child. Keep at it momma, your doing fine.

And I'm so sorry that they wouldn't take the care. Seems like a slam dunk to me.

Now I don't know much about this as I didnt have to go down that route, but a Voice of the Child report?

Comment

There�s no need to continue to defend yourself. Your ex filed a motion and you have to respond. Now that it�s before the court you are obligated to follow through.
                          What Rockscan said !!!

Comment

Might be a small thing, but I would change all your "me" and "my" into "applicant" and "applicant's".

Comment

First of all, please you don't need to explain yourself to other posters who seem to always question your parenting. Don't even respond to that anymore. You're doing all you can to protect your child. Keep at it momma, your doing fine.

And I'm so sorry that they wouldn't take the care. Seems like a slam dunk to me.

Now I don't know much about this as I didnt have to go down that route, but a Voice of the Child report?
                              So I spoke with a lawyer about a VOC report and I was told it really wasn't worth the paper its written on. I was told that the child's behavior in addition to the documentation I have is substantial enough to allow a Judge to make a decision without spending the money for a VOC report.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X