Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

New posts


  Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2016, 10:54 PM
JCL JCL is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 27
JCL is on a distinguished road
Default Motion To Dismiss due to no change in circumstance?

Just got served (actually papers were put in my mailbox; is that legal?) with Family Law Application to Change Child Support. If our original papers were signed once child was already away attending university, Minutes of Settlement state support is in place to the end of the first degree, and my ex actually earns more money than when our original papers were signed, is it likely that I could file a Motion to Dismiss due to no change in circumstances? The reason why he's filing is because he feels that I have too much money, compared to him. Here's the section from the Alberta Divorce Act; see 17(4):

Variation, Rescission or Suspension of Orders

Marginal note:Order for variation, rescission or suspension

17 (1) A court of competent jurisdiction may make an order varying, rescinding or suspending, prospectively or retroactively,

(a) a support order or any provision thereof on application by either or both former spouses; or

(b) a custody order or any provision thereof on application by either or both former spouses or by any other person.

Marginal note:Application by other person

(2) A person, other than a former spouse, may not make an application under paragraph (1)(b) without leave of the court.

Marginal note:Terms and conditions

(3) The court may include in a variation order any provision that under this Act could have been included in the order in respect of which the variation order is sought.

Marginal note:Factors for child support order

(4) Before the court makes a variation order in respect of a child support order, the court shall satisfy itself that a change of circumstances as provided for in the applicable guidelines has occurred since the making of the child support order or the last variation order made in respect of that order.
Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 12:45 AM
stripes stripes is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,838
stripes is on a distinguished road

My understanding is that the term "material change in circumstances" refers to a situation which could not have been reasonably foreseen at the time the agreement was made (like winning the lottery, losing a long-term job, abduction by aliens, etc). I have also heard that it can refer to a change in the conditions of a child's life of sufficient magnitude that a determination of the child's best interests, if made today, would be substantially different from what it was at the time the order was made.

So just the fact that he feels you have too much money probably doesn't carry much weight, unless you've suddenly acquired this money from lottery winnings, aliens, or whatever, or unless this money wasn't disclosed at the time you made the agreement.

Of course, I am not a lawyer.
Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 01:08 AM
JCL JCL is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 27
JCL is on a distinguished road

Let's hope you're correct Stripes! His salary has gone up, he sold the property he owned, the vehicle he owned outright, and now owns no property and has a $400/month car payment. I'm just trying to figure out the correct court forms to fill out to respond

Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need help writing a motion to change CycleDad Divorce & Family Law 9 03-03-2011 12:06 PM
Retroactive Motion to Change? Spoonz Divorce & Family Law 4 11-12-2010 11:34 PM
Can I apply for an application to dismiss Respondents Motion to Change kelly Divorce & Family Law 7 11-05-2010 12:41 PM
Need help with motion to change support Ihave2kidsIcannotsee Divorce & Family Law 1 03-19-2009 11:04 AM
Appropriate Procedure gooddadgoingmad Divorce & Family Law 4 02-19-2006 03:44 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:46 AM.