Post secondary - year two

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post secondary - year two

My partner is expecting the post secondary receipts this week and is working through what he wants to see this year. Last year his contribution was very small after all the deductions which made him not push for info. There was also the issue with redacted info that he had to fight for but thats another story. His ex plays dumb "I don't know what you're talking about these are all the receipts we have". He knows she spoke with a lawyer so he is hoping that she isn't so difficult this year.

All the case law I have read through has judges saying if kids expect their parent to pay a portion then they have to provide details including transcripts. His agreement says he can ask for any information required to calculate section 7 expenses. Kid switched majors this year, told him she wasn't doing so well and didn't take a full course load last year.

My question is this: is it worth pressing for transcripts? He's worried she will stop speaking to him but he also wants full disclosure. My devils advocate comment was "if you want to be tough and press for it then you need to accept the consequences. Kid can't expect a cheque for several thousand if she isn't going to provide full details."

Should he just suck it up and accept it or should he be tough and say no disclosure no payment?

In your situation I would say no. You have indicated that your ex is perpetually in state of remorse over his divorce and daughters seem to play him quite well. Demanding transcripts might very well be his right but to what end? More periods of silence from daughter(s)... more fights with ex? The less he has to do with his ex the better IMO. At the most I'd say he could express a willingness to review the transcripts should they decide to share them with him.

Anyone else I'd say "hell yes - give me the transcripts if you want money" ....

Comment

Transcripts (showing grades) aren't worth the fight. All Dad needs is evidence that the kids were enrolled full time (proof of registration and/or receipts for tuition). It may be that they're enrolled and failing half their courses, in which they're wasting their time and everyone's money, but that isn't Dad's concern. And if they continue to do badly, the money will eventually run out after the equivalent of a first degree and they will have squandered their chance at postsecondary education, but that's their problem.

Comment

Thats pretty much what I said to him when he expressed issues with her not speaking to him. His lawyer told him he had the right to ask especially if shes changing up her programs or failing classes. I will be surprised if the ex actually follows through with full documents like lease agreements, food receipts etc. Recall last year she pulled the "well nothing is in the agreement that says I have to provide this so we estimate the cost to be $xxxx."

Comment

Well he finally received his email. As expected, the ex pulled her "its not in the agreement" crap. He was provided a copy of the item on the school website telling potential students what it may cost. The only true receipt was the account statement from the school with tuition on it. Oh and a "receipt" from the landlord. Everything else was lost in the move he was told. Followed by a big song and dance about all the expenses shes been covering over the years, how he didnt agree with her calculations last year, how kid isnt able to work so much etc.

Should he respond and provide her with one last opportunity to share bank statements if kid used debit for food or just take this crap to the lawyer and see what he says?

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X