X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome back Tayken.
    I hope you stay a while.

Comment

Last edited by Mess; 05-09-2013, 09:42 PM. Reason: Off topic; inflammatory remark

Comment

Originally posted by SadAndTired View Post
        And people (moderators) wonder why I left...

Glad to see you too "Sad" and "Tried".

Good Luck!
        Tayken

PS: Edited my post just for old time sake.

Edited it again.
        Last edited by Mess; 05-09-2013, 09:42 PM.

Comment

Last edited by Mess; 05-09-2013, 09:43 PM. Reason: Same as above

Comment

Originally posted by Tayken View Post
            Baldclub,

Yes, many. Please PM me.

Good Luck!
            Tayken
            I want to know what you are saying! Welcome back, Tayken!

Comment

Comment

Tayken, good to hear from you.

I have a final order on consent in my hand, signed and dated by myself, my ex, the OCL and the judge of course.

It is going to be 50/50 with a week about schedule, starting next Friday.

I agreed to no child support from her, I agreed to the arrears and I still went ahead and offered to pay her legal fees incurred in obtaining CS. The judge told me I didn't have to, but I still said I would. I'm a dumbass and a man of principle, for good or for bad.

I feel I bought my kids back, but it's worth it.

The OCL was a catalyst but in the end incompetent, dangerous and ultimately did not serve the best interest of the children. But, she played the role of Gollum and in the end it was her who brought this change about, unwittingly I may add.

Comment

Originally posted by now i see the moon View Post
                  I want to know what you are saying! Welcome back, Tayken!
                  Hi NISTM ("Now I see the moon"):

I am going to provide a template for an offer to settle on a 50-50 basis.

I have been working on one in my absence which I am going to generalize and put into a configuration that can be easily downloaded possibly from this forum.

It is a blend of case law. It is isn't complete but, it will cover the elements of 2-2-3, 2-2-5-5 and the supporting jurisprudence. Something that unrepresented litigants can use.

Baldclub only probably needs some wording so I can send it to him in PMs for now.

But, I do intend on posting it once completed. I do require some additional eyes on the materials. Respected members have already reviewed it and adjusted it. I just need to simplify it more.

I am hoping Mess and possibly OrleansLawyer would be keen on contributing to it.

If there is something that will assist everyone I will be sure to post to this thread provided Baldclub's consent though.

Good Luck!
                  Tayken

Comment

Oh, and I wanted to add that the judge in my eleventh hour "settlement conference" was fantastic, patient, caring, knowledgeable, and dare I say: fair.

Her name is Madam Justice Trousdale, from Kingston it seems.

Comment

• Tayken, after all this time you still insist on using the capital "B" in my name? It is simply baldclub, president and member.

Comment

• Originally posted by baldclub View Post
                        Tayken, after all this time you still insist on using the capital "B" in my name? It is simply baldclub, president and member.
                        baldclub,

Point "tayken". I just am formal when addressing people.

Good Luck!
                        Tayken

Comment

• I wouldn't mind taking a look at that template of yours Tayken as someone who has already gotten 50/50.
                          Anything that helps other children get what I got without there parents having to go through 12 days of trial would be very welcome.

Comment

• Hi Everyone!!

It's been a while but it has been a well deserved holiday from the forum. I'm not up to date on the latest here, I've read some things here and there, I see that the family law wheel is still running over people.

Let me tell you, since getting 50/50 there has been a huge weight lifted off my shoulders. I've been told by some that it was clearly visible. I am overall pretty happy in my life, although some issues still exist (mainly financial), the week about schedule is great. To be honest, I miss the kids when they're not here but we gel very well as soon as we're back together.

The kids: this change to a regular schedule, equal parenting, has been very, very smooth, I can't stress that enough. I've always been involved and it showed. There is love, guidance and fun as there always has been. The funny thing is the kids have really come out and said things very clearly that once I was too afraid to ask because I wanted to limit their involvement in inappropriate decision making. And this is something I want to share with you all on the forum who are dealing with the OCL:

I sit around the table with the kids and we talk after meals, this is a very healthy habit from what I understand. My kids have said this before, but in particular lately, that they often told the OCL they wanted a week about schedule. They said they repeated this often to the lawyer, who apparently told them that the judge probably would not agree to it. They didn't like a broken up schedule she offered, and for some reason the OCL lawyer thought the children didn't want to be with both parents equally. Apparently the OCL said a more regular schedule like the week about wouldn't work because of the work schedules, although I have a Monday to Friday day work week while my ex does shift work. So in effect, the OCL trumped the kids' need for stability and predictability by siding with a schedule that worked in the mother's favour.

I walk away from the whole experience seeing the OCL in a very negative light. I had hoped for a more knowledgeable understanding of how both parents are so important in children's lives, how they can only benefit from the love and guidance of each parent to the maximum capability versus living in the disjointed sole custody situation that the court seemed to impose more often than not. I had thrown at the OCL a very good case for a very good loving, modern father with a history of involvement with my own kids and a good anchor to the community. Not much of a bite from the OCL.

I will say that I know the OCL lawyer didn't like me. But I wonder how one can not put aside there own insecurities for the mission. The mission is to provide an unbiased view of the children's preferences, what they feel is in their best interest. I believe there is mostly a limit to what we should be asking the children in terms of decision making, from my own experience where the children lived within a somewhat coercive environment with the mother, but mostly because of what I read from authors such as Warren Farrell, Edward Kruk and Patrick Parkinson among others.

One ray of light was the social worker, known as the clinical assist. She would be the one to have taken the stand had my case gone to trial. When I met her and the lawyer, I could tell that the social worker listened more attentively and had more children-focused responses.

However, in hindsight and even at the time, I see the involvement of the OCL in contrasting light:

1. A necessary evil at the time, because no one was 'getting' my evidence without a trial, and the allegations were flying. The OCL was supposed to listen to the children amongst the chaos so that the situation could be cleared up for the kids sooner rather than later. I was wrong. The OCL delayed everything by about 18 months.

2. I watched how biased the OCL was, I could not believe how she flip flopped even hours before what was supposed to be an inevitable trial. I had her written position supporting 50/50, a rarity in the run up to trial, vanish just before the final meeting with a judge. Her well documented mismanagement of the case would have inevitably had to exclude her fairness and credibility. That my own ex said she made things worse is a testament to the OCL's personal incompetence.

3. However, I did see the OCL lawyer go toe to toe with my ex, and hammer out some concessions in the schedule as I have mentioned in other posts. I think I want to give the lawyer credit with such progress, although I am acutely aware that in the face of direct unwillingness by my ex to not increase access for the kids while I lived in the same town for two years, even the OCL lawyer had to take a stand.

If anyone is dealing with the OCL in Renfrew County, Ontario message me directly and I will let you know who I have had to deal with. Maybe I can help in some way.

Comment

• Welcome back! Thanks for sharing your experience, glad to hear it worked out well for you and the kids in the end, despite the long and crappy road to getting there.

Thanks also for your offer to help others with what you've learned - a great example of success and paying it forward!

Comment

• I know, I know, this is a lot of ranting but if you want, bear with me.

Let me say this too. One really major change in the last year or maybe more, is my calmness when dealing with my ex. To be honest, things have died down in the discussions between us. Yet, I still keep track of emails and texts and I record my calls, and my ex continues to badger me with accusations, hanging up the phone when I call for the kids, you know the drill.

But. The way I respond is classic BIFF, brief, informative, firm but friendly. For example, she hung up on me a week ago after talking over me in one of the few calls I've had with her (had to call the kids), and my blood pressure was great. I didn't flinch, I didn't knee-jerk and react to her way of being. I went about my day and did not let it affect me in the least. There is true peace when we don't react. It's a great unexpected outcome of this whole family court situation.

Who knew?

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                                Working...
                                X