This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Splitting CPP credits

I am trying to tie up all the loose ends I can do while separated and it is on my mind.

Anyone with any experience with splitting cpp credits? I am trying to figure out if it is best to wait until the divorce is final or do this while we are separated.

The website says
    If you are separated or have left a common-law relationship, you or your former partner or someone acting for you must apply and provide certain documentation. (To obtain an application form, see "Contact us" at the end of this fact sheet.) An application can be withdrawn up to 60 days after we notify you that it has been approved.
    I am assuming a separation agreement is part of that documentation. Is it a pain to do it now - and best to wait until the divorce or was it easy enough?

Any advice is appreciated

No need to wait until the divorce is finalized - you can apply for a Canada Pension Plan credit sharing when you separate (you can apply even if you were in a common law relationship or never divorce).

I don't have an application at hand, but you don't need a separation agreement to apply.
    Ottawa Divorce

Comment

Thanks Jeff

Comment

So I 'm wondering this. I took the job I am at now, AFTER we separated. Does stbx have any interest in the CPP that I am paying into now? How would that work?

Thanks
        GDGM

Comment

Yes you can apply for it right away. Part of the process is that they notify the other party and confirm relationship dates. If the other party objects to the dates the process takes longer. To save alot of time, if at all possible get the other party to sign a letter or affidavit etc confirming dates and attach to your application and that they authorize the proposed division of CPP credits.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X