Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

Old 01-09-2019, 10:48 AM

cashcow4ex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersimmer View Post
You guys should stick to the question asked.
No one cares what your opinion is on my ability to buy out the spouse based on your psychic hotline experience. sheesh!

Me? I care about holding off the sale until a the final settlement so I can work the numbers, that is all.

Wow...just wow!

Anyone else besides me hoping that this home sale gets pushed through?
Old 01-09-2019, 11:54 AM

kate331 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashcow4ex View Post
Wow...just wow!

She is most likely just raw and emotional during the initial stages of separation. I suspect in a year from now she will look back and think what a mistake it was to fight over a house full of bad memories. Personally I wouldn't want the stress of trying to afford it and be house poor. Sorry kids, no soccer for you this year, cause we living in this house.
Old 01-09-2019, 03:44 PM

dadonown is on a distinguished road

I was in the same boat. Was willing to buy the home, etc. Ended up just selling it(...at less than I would have paid for it) and buying another in the neighbourhood.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:23 AM

summersimmer is on a distinguished road

There was good content aside from the obvious bitterness and negativity in some of the posts.

I am glad people don't know who the payor or payee is for child /spousal support.

Most people here have either been aggressors or victims and I think the bias came out.

thank you for the good information.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:47 PM

Tayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashcow4ex View Post
Wow...just wow!

Next question will be if hiring a company to pick up dog poop at the house is an S7 expense.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:58 AM

redbulldrinkertoo is on a distinguished road
Default Lump sum

You wrote

"It was not a cash lump sum, rather it came from my ex's portion of the house. A lump sum worked best because I wanted to keep the house, so it was easier to just roll it into the house rather than take a monthly payment for x number of years."

What did you lawyer say to that? Were the lawyers screaming no, lets push for more etc etc
Old 01-24-2019, 09:59 AM

redbulldrinkertoo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by denbigh View Post
You absolutely can go to a bank now and find out if you have a chance to get a mortgage. no they wont give you the actual loan until you have the separation agreement, but they will tell you if you are likley to qualify. You already know your income from work. You should have an idea of how much child support you would get. You should have an idea of how much spousal support you would get. No, maybe you dont have the exact number, but if you are being realistic and fair then you should have an idea. you should have a very good idea of the value of the assests, because they are always half of what you own.

you can even ask about different scenarios, if my income is A would i likely qualify? if my income is B would I likely qualify? Then you will know if you have any hope of keeping house, or needing to find someone to co-sign with you, or if not you will need to sell it.

What happened in my case, was I went to 2 different banks (where the mortgage was currenlty, and a new bank) and found out if I would likely qualify. I recieved some spousal support, in the form of a lump sum. It was not a cash lump sum, rather it came from my ex's portion of the house. A lump sum worked best becasue I wanted to keep the house, so it was easier to just roll it into the house rather than take a monthly payment for x number of years. Then once all of that was getting pretty close to finalized and agreed apon, I went and got the actual preapproval to lock in an interest rate as rates were rising. Then everything happened at once, signed the agreement, took out a new mortgage in my name on the house, equalizaiton done. the day I signed the agreement, i went to the bank with the agreement to start the mortgage.
In my case, the bank had initally told me that they would want to see, not just the separation agreement to indicate what child support I would get, but also about 3 months worth of actual payments to show that the ex did in fact pay it. In the end they didnt take that, and just used the separation agreement, but I also think they felt it was a low risk situaiton for it to not be paid.
You wrote

"It was not a cash lump sum, rather it came from my ex's portion of the house. A lump sum worked best because I wanted to keep the house, so it was easier to just roll it into the house rather than take a monthly payment for x number of years."

What did you lawyer say to that? Were the lawyers screaming no, lets push for more etc etc
Old 01-24-2019, 02:58 PM

cashcow4ex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayken View Post
Next question will be if hiring a company to pick up dog poop at the house is an S7 expense.

LOL ...glad you got a chuckle out of it! Her argument of the kids should have the right to play in a clean back yard was compelling though!
Old 01-24-2019, 10:36 PM

denbigh is on a distinguished road

My own lawyer?
My lawyer told me these are the options, monthly or lump, and figured out what the amounts of each were. This was my offer to ex. Ex’s offer was no spousal support then eventually agreed to an amount. It was less than an equivalent amount should it have been monthly for several years and that was because of the tax implications