This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New half sibling and custody disputes

I am just wondering how much weight a judge will put on the fact that there is a new half sibling relationship to consider when deciding custody arrangements (I remarried and had a baby with new husband). In my case, the status quo is 65-35 custody which ex wants increased to 50-50 now after 8 years. I am opposed (for many reasons) and wondering if the sibling in the picture will mean anything to my case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Originally posted by Ange71727 View Post
    I am just wondering how much weight a judge will put on the fact that there is a new half sibling relationship to consider when deciding custody arrangements (I remarried and had a baby with new husband). In my case, the status quo is 65-35 custody which ex wants increased to 50-50 now after 8 years. I am opposed (for many reasons) and wondering if the sibling in the picture will mean anything to my case.

50-50 and use a 2-2-3-3 schedule if the child is <5 years old and if >5 use a 2-2-5-5 based schedule. The new sibling won't impact much or provide you any advantage. Judges (in most jurisdictions with family law centres) are ordering 50-50 access a lot.

Read this thread...

http://www.ottawadivorce.com/forum/f...plained-13702/

I would recommend you settle on 50-50 and pick one of the two mentioned schedules. To go through trial will cost you WAY MORE than you think.

Comment

Originally posted by Tayken View Post
      50-50 and use a 2-2-3-3 schedule if the child is <5 years old and if >5 use a 2-2-5-5 based schedule. The new sibling won't impact much or provide you any advantage. Judges (in most jurisdictions with family law centres) are ordering 50-50 access a lot.

Read this thread...

http://www.ottawadivorce.com/forum/f...plained-13702/

I would recommend you settle on 50-50 and pick one of the two mentioned schedules. To go through trial will cost you WAY MORE than you think.

A lot of people recommend 50-50 I know; however, in my case I don't feel it in my kids' best interests. My ex proposed a 50-50 split in which the kids come to him on all his days off (he is a shift worker) plus weekends he's off. This would eliminate his need for daycare - something he has always opposed paying because "he doesn't need it". Even if I did agree to 50-50, why should he have the luxury of parenting when he isn't working when it wouldn't be the same for me? I would love to have every weekend with my kids - those are my only days off in the month. His proposed plan has him only taking the kids on "days off" which is more about the saving money than the having his kids. I know court is going to be a bucket load. The fact that I am considering it should indicate my comfort level with this man having his kids halftime.

Comment

A lot of people recommend 50-50 I know;
        Propose a age-related access schedule that is a 50-50 one based on what was provided above. Ignore that he is a shift worker.

His dispute is with his employer. The human rights codes/acts all require employers to recognise "family situation". His complexity with his employment situation is HIS to deal with and not yours. He can make a request for accommodations in his shifts based on his "family situation". Divorced families are protected under law. If he has a court ordered access agreement then his employer needs to accommodation it or give him proper severance. It is NOT your problem. Stop making it yours.

however, in my case I don't feel it in my kids' best interests
        Why? Are they at risk of violence and abuse in accordance with Rule 24.(4) of the CLRA? That is the only real claim for "best interests" at this point. You haven't stated that the father is a danger to the children.

My ex proposed a 50-50 split in which the kids come to him on all his days off (he is a shift worker) plus weekends he's off.
        WGAS (Who Gives a Shit) principals need to be applied. That is a dispute between him and his lawyer. Simply propose in a properly written offer to settle on one of the schedules above. He needs to deal with his employer. Judges rarely order wonky schedules that are not patterned. So the ball is in your court. Also, if the matter does find its way to court you have made a structured 50-50 offer on a structured and common access pattern. You are securing your costs award when he is told the same thing by a judge.

This would eliminate his need for daycare - something he has always opposed paying because "he doesn't need it".
        Well, it is going to cost him easily 50-80 thousand dollars to have a judge just say WGAS to him. Make a generous offer for 50-50 access, offset child support and an access schedule on one of the above two schedules. Offer to pay daycare in accordance with S7.

His parenting time is HIS parenting time. Judges won't order wonky schedules so if he is unwilling to accommodate his kids the judge won't be sympathetic. The worst thing he can do is go into court saying "i work shifts" and ask a judge to set case law for a wonky schedule that only inflicts conflict.

You don't need to tell him this. You just need to know this fact. Stop worrying about his schedule with the kids. It isn't your problem! Stop trying to solve HIS problem!

Even if I did agree to 50-50, why should he have the luxury of parenting when he isn't working when it wouldn't be the same for me?
        EXACTLY! BINGO. Judge will say the same thing. So stop worrying about it and offer something in accordance with the RULES.

I would love to have every weekend with my kids - those are my only days off in the month. His proposed plan has him only taking the kids on "days off" which is more about the saving money than the having his kids.
        Judge will see the same thing. They don't order wonky schedules based on employment. Employment is not guaranteed so they only order structured schedules usually.

I know court is going to be a bucket load. The fact that I am considering it should indicate my comfort level with this man having his kids halftime.
        Again, WGAS his work situation. That is HIS problem NOT YOURS.

Good Luck!
        Tayken

Comment

"Even if I did agree to 50-50, why should he have the luxury of parenting when he isn't working when it wouldn't be the same for me? I would love to have every weekend with my kids - those are my only days off in the month. "

Because it's better for the kids to be with a parent than in daycare.

I don't agree that schedules should revilve around work schedules, however if it is doable and the kids aren't stuck in daycare, if your only objection is butthurt over him having the kids when he doesn't work, it may br worth considering.

Comment

Originally posted by blinkandimgone View Post
            "Even if I did agree to 50-50, why should he have the luxury of parenting when he isn't working when it wouldn't be the same for me? I would love to have every weekend with my kids - those are my only days off in the month. "

Because it's better for the kids to be with a parent than in daycare.

I don't agree that schedules should revilve around work schedules, however if it is doable and the kids aren't stuck in daycare, if your only objection is butthurt over him having the kids when he doesn't work, it may br worth considering.

Oh that isn't my only objection, trust me. The kids only go to daycare before school. They take the bus home to my house after school. It isn't a lot of daycare. I have a problem with him suddenly wanting his kids 50-50 after 8 years of this arrangement. If he can only take them on days off then maybe I should have all weekends since those are my only days off? I hope that Tayken is right about a judge not accepting a wonky schedule. Consistency is better than being shuffled back and forth a couple times in a school week. In my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Tayken View Post
              Propose a age-related access schedule that is a 50-50 one based on what was provided above. Ignore that he is a shift worker.

His dispute is with his employer. The human rights codes/acts all require employers to recognise "family situation". His complexity with his employment situation is HIS to deal with and not yours. He can make a request for accommodations in his shifts based on his "family situation". Divorced families are protected under law. If he has a court ordered access agreement then his employer needs to accommodation it or give him proper severance. It is NOT your problem. Stop making it yours.

Why? Are they at risk of violence and abuse in accordance with Rule 24.(4) of the CLRA? That is the only real claim for "best interests" at this point. You haven't stated that the father is a danger to the children.

WGAS (Who Gives a Shit) principals need to be applied. That is a dispute between him and his lawyer. Simply propose in a properly written offer to settle on one of the schedules above. He needs to deal with his employer. Judges rarely order wonky schedules that are not patterned. So the ball is in your court. Also, if the matter does find its way to court you have made a structured 50-50 offer on a structured and common access pattern. You are securing your costs award when he is told the same thing by a judge.

Well, it is going to cost him easily 50-80 thousand dollars to have a judge just say WGAS to him. Make a generous offer for 50-50 access, offset child support and an access schedule on one of the above two schedules. Offer to pay daycare in accordance with S7.

His parenting time is HIS parenting time. Judges won't order wonky schedules so if he is unwilling to accommodate his kids the judge won't be sympathetic. The worst thing he can do is go into court saying "i work shifts" and ask a judge to set case law for a wonky schedule that only inflicts conflict.

You don't need to tell him this. You just need to know this fact. Stop worrying about his schedule with the kids. It isn't your problem! Stop trying to solve HIS problem!

EXACTLY! BINGO. Judge will say the same thing. So stop worrying about it and offer something in accordance with the RULES.

Judge will see the same thing. They don't order wonky schedules based on employment. Employment is not guaranteed so they only order structured schedules usually.

Again, WGAS his work situation. That is HIS problem NOT YOURS.

Good Luck!

Tayken

Hi Tayken,
              I can't figure out how to isolate certain points from your reply so I'll have to address it all here. I am WORRIED because I am uninformed. I am doing my best to inform myself a bit more of what I can expect if this goes to court but I am self-aware enough to know that I need education big time on family law principles. What do you mean by the "Rules" if I may be so naive to ask?
              I do feel that I can "make an offer"; however, I don't know about 50-50. Why should he be awarded that when he is doing this to save money? I am beginning to see that there are many "dad's rights" people on here - and all the power to them!! Good dads exist!! My husband is one of them. My ex has very questionable morals and lies more than anyone I know. I could tell you stories of things I've had to explain to the kids about his words and behaviours. He isn't abusing them. He isn't hurting them per se. I do think he loves them. I just don't want to lose the arrangement I have. He has been set up in his own house for five years so why come for them now? Because they are older and easier? Because he wants to save money? How is that right?

Comment

It doesnt matter what you think or what he thinks. Its whats in the best interest of your kids. Will it be good for them to have half their time with their dad? Maybe maybe not. You wont know until you try.

Propose a 50/50 schedule that isnt just in his favour. Have it as every other weekend and let him find child care for his time. Tell him you want a six month trial to see how it works and impacts the kids. If its successful then you can make it permanent.

You owe it to your kids to work with their father regardless of whether hes a jerk or not.

Comment

I know court is going to be a bucket load. The fact that I am considering it should indicate my comfort level with this man having his kids halftime.
                  So, you are comfortable with him having 35% access, but uncomfortable with him having 50% access?

I am truly excited to hear your reasoning.

Comment

Originally posted by Janus View Post
                    So, you are comfortable with him having 35% access, but uncomfortable with him having 50% access?

I am truly excited to hear your reasoning.

I don't want him to have any more access than he has. Right now the kids are well-adjusted and healthy and completely used to this arrangement. I don't feel like they are deprived of seeing their father. He was fine with this arrangement for 8 years, before the CS arrangement expired and he is due to pay more (which he has ignored anyway for almost a year now). I am truly excited to hear why you think 15% more custody is owed to this person you don't know and have limited details about. This is a guy who told his kids that their new brother isn't really their full brother (true, but not his place) and that nobody is a parent to them except mom and dad (when having a conversation about step dad).

Comment

I am truly excited to hear why you think 15% more custody is owed to this person you don't know and have limited details about
                      I was just asking what the difference was between 35% and 50%. There are three possibilities:
                      1. You want to punish the father (maybe for saying "bad" things about your husband?)
                      2. There is some tangible difference between 35% and 50% such that the kids would be better off with 35%
                      3. You want to maintain your level of child support

I was hoping that it was #2 and that you would provide some insight.

Comment

Originally posted by Janus View Post
                        I was just asking what the difference was between 35% and 50%. There are three possibilities:

1. You want to punish the father (maybe for saying "bad" things about your husband?)
                        2. There is some tangible difference between 35% and 50% such that the kids would be better off with 35%
                        3. You want to maintain your level of child support

I was hoping that it was #2 and that you would provide some insight.

The point is not that there is much difference between 35 and 50. The point is that the status quo is working well. Number 3 is a laugh to me because it is about money for my ex, NOT for me. I would gladly take less CS in exchange for leaving custody as is. In fact, I may have to negotiate that if we mediate before court. Money talks with him. He claims he has a "material change in circumstance" now that he is done renovating his house (a house he has owned for 5 years and has had the kids living comfortably in all this time); however the only thing that has really changed is that he has a girlfriend who keeps him on top of everything and has encouraged him to actually be more involved.This is good but not a MCIS in my opinion. He's still a shift worker with a wonky schedule.
                        As for number 1 - no I don't wish to "punish" him for saying things to my husband. However, I am also worried about things he says about me to the kids. I already see the effects of it. "Daddy says this....." and "Daddy says that...". Many many lies are told about me, which it is practically a second job trying to gather evidence to the contrary.
                        I will end by saying that I don't think you should assume I am this horrible punisher you think I am. It is possible that I have good reasons for what I think.

Comment

Your ex being a jerk about you, your new husband or your new child isnt enough of a reason to prevent him from spending more time with his kids. Who cares what he has been doing for the last five years. He wants to see his kids now and work on that relationship. Good for him that he has a woman in his life encouraging him to do more. Good for him for trying to develop his relationship more. Your children deserve both parents in their lives and equal amount of time.

You need to pull your head out of your ass and start thinking about whats best for your kids. Going into court and claiming all this crap wont fly with a judge.

Comment

The point is not that there is much difference between 35 and 50. The point is that the status quo is working well.
                            In what specific way would the status quo stop working well if you moved from 35% to 50%?

however the only thing that has really changed is that he has a girlfriend who keeps him on top of everything and has encouraged him to actually be more involved.This is good but not a MCIS in my opinion.
                            So, he wants to be more involved, but legally it isn't a MCIC. Therefore, because you love your children, it is important that he legally establishes a MCIC before he can have more time with the children, because that is what is best for your children. Correct?

I will end by saying that I don't think you should assume I am this horrible punisher you think I am. It is possible that I have good reasons for what I think.
                            Of course it is possible, that is why I was asking

Instead of spending thousands of dollars in court though to try and restrict the time between your children and their father, maybe you should consider other alternatives. To be honest you haven't really articulated any reasons here that would justify the fight.

Comment

He wants to see them now because he doesn't want to pay the child support he is mandated to pay. His "proposed" agreement is literally all about saving himself money. Money is the motivation, not being the best dad to his kids. I don't think my head is up my ass thanks. I understand your need to side with dad - your issue, not mine. The judge will also have to hear all of his fabricated crap about me and likely won't think highly about some of his actions the past few years.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X