Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

Old 03-13-2021, 07:16 PM

rhender is on a distinguished road
Default Shared Child Support References

Hi,

I am looking for some help to find explanations or references that describe how ordinary expenses should be shared in shared parenting arrangements. I have read on this site that the base support covers day to day expenses and that these expenses should be shared 50/50 when the offset amount is paid. I am now looking for references that support this idea.

There is a lot of information on how to calculate the offset and how to factor in extraordinary expenses, but not as much on the base support. There is the Contino case but that is more general to the idea that both parents should be contributing to the costs to raise the children. Is there any relevant references, online or otherwise, that support this idea of 50/50 sharing of base child support expenses?

Thanks!
Old 03-13-2021, 09:39 PM

rockscan will become famous soon enoughrockscan will become famous soon enough

There arent. Its a case by case basis and more than likely not many people take it to court. Over the years on this forum, people have taken the route of sharing certain things like splitting the costs of snow suits and back to school stuff. Technically full table support is supposed to cover the costs of basic stuff like clothes, shoes, school supplies etc. In a shared situation where offset it paid, the expenses tend to get shared equally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-15-2021, 11:48 AM

Brampton33 is on a distinguished road

This is getting annoying for myself as well. When I was paying full table amount, my ex would take care of buying all the snow boots, winter coats, snowpants, etc. Even some of the larger items that makes sense for kid to only have 1 of such as tricycle, which would transfer from home to home. Now that we are in offset situation, it seems like my ex buys absolutely nothing and relies that I buy everything. It is like a game of standoff to see who will eventually cave and buy these things. I usually end up doing it because I put my kid first over a silly standoff game. I'd rather see kid in snowsuit when its needed rather than try to win a game of standoff.