Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

Old 03-22-2021, 09:28 AM

trueblue22 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderPressure View Post
In addition to the massive expense of dragging this out you are also depriving him of his equity and the ability to build equity and profit from this low interest rate environment.

There is good news, the real estate market is super hot right now. I think your best move by far would be to sell the house, right now, and come to an agreement. I suggest offering table child support and net everything else out to a lump sum. The house sale can provide the cash for the payout to you. You will both end up with tens of thousands (maybe hundreds of thousands) more in your pockets if you can sell now and come to an agreement. The hot sellers market is spurring my settlement now, with sale of the matrimonial home likely to generate an additional $200k compared to a year ago. Sell sell sell. If you propose something reasonable with standard child support and the rest boiled down to a lump sum I think you will end up far better off.
The title of the home is in his name only. I have to fight him and win a trust claim because he is refusing to share the increase in the value of the matrimonial home with me. A few people in our neighborhood sold within the last couple of months. I suspect my house will go for 400k to get 600k more than it was worth 5 years ago. This would be a huge windfall for him and a disadvantage for me. An extra 200k or 300k is the difference in me being able to buy or rent.

Table child support would leave me with less money than he is paying me now. I don't need to pay any of the bills and he gives me support money with no agreement so I don't need to pay taxes on it.
Old 03-22-2021, 10:28 AM

Brampton33 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I suggest offering table child support...
Lets be careful here with the advice so that OP doesn't make any rash decisions she may regret later

Custody: Will likely be joint custody. Some narcissists are so hot-to-trot on getting "sole custody" because they want to treat their kids as "theirs". Unless parents are at eachothers' throats or live 200+ km from one another, there is no reason why decisions affecting child's medical, schooling or religion cannot be made jointly.

Access: Not much discussed in OP's threads on what goals are. To date, ALL of her communications have been money-driven. Not a good look in court. Primary focus in all of this should be kids. If OP and ex agree to relatively equal parenting times, there is no reason why it should not be offset child support. Her ex makes $500,000 per year. Even in an offset situation, she should be receiving a nice chunk of change each month. Based on what I have read in OP's posts, she could really use the offset child support. I strongly disagree with any advice given that OP should pay her ex full table amount.

House: Lots discussed in other threads, but reality is that OP won't be approved to take over house on her own. Her ex wants to cut the house loose and OP won't let him break away from financial ties to his ex. OP is skating on thin ice on this one as she expects her ex from 5 years ago to continually live in house that he wants to dispose of. She could use offset child support to save away for down payment on new house that is more reflective of her current reality.
Old 03-22-2021, 11:26 AM

rockscan will become famous soon enoughrockscan will become famous soon enough

So make him an offer that you will agree to sell if you split the profits equally rather than the value from four years ago. If it means he can divest the property now he may be more willing to agree.

I you want something you have to give something in return. It cant be a list of what you want and he gets nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-22-2021, 12:24 PM

UnderPressure is on a distinguished road

This. ^^^

Getting this done ASAP is going to be the best net financial position for both of you.
Old 03-22-2021, 01:23 PM

Brampton33 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Getting this done ASAP is going to be the best net financial position for both of you.
OP's ex wants to get this done, it is OP that is dragging feet in getting house sold because she wants to still live there on ex's dime.

But yes, the disposal of the home should be done ASAP. OP (who makes $50k) giving her ex (who makes $500k) full Table Amount of child support, when they have equal access, should not even be a consideration.