Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does court automatically send new court order to FRO?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does court automatically send new court order to FRO?

Hi,
    My ex signed "Consent to Change Child Support", which was duly filed in court and signed by a Judge. We both received copies of court order with new child support amount. I receive child support through FRO.
    Two months have gone by and child support (which is an increase this year) still hasn't changed.
    Last year, the new amount was reflected immediately (which was a decrease).
    My question, does the court automatically send a copy of the court order to FRO? Just wondering why it changed right away last year and hasn't changed yet this year. So far, ex is >$1,000 in arrears (after two months), by underpaying child support.
    I believed the court sent new court order to FRO, but am I wrong in this belief? I guess I should be contacting FRO (how I hate being on hold for numerous hours ) to see what is happening...
    Thank you for any insight.

In my experience, the party that is represented by a lawyer has to file with FRO. If Both parties are self rep, then the court clerk files. In your case since it was not an order, but a consent, maybe things are different. Call up the court and ask them to look up your file. They do that. And then you could ask the what standing with FRO your file is. They might inform you right then that it has not been filed, and will advise you what has to be done to file. Hope this helps.

Comment

FRO is very, very backed up currently. Supposedly involving yourself directly and sending a copy to FRO (and including your FRO file number for their convenience) speeds things up.

Comment

It took 2 months for any changes with the FRO to come into effect for me and my ex. When we called they just said they hadn't been able to process it yet.

Comment

Yes the court automatically sends the order to FRO.
          My Gf only had a case conference. Her ex was paying her by cheque and a few months later, she got a letter from FRO, stating she had a case/they wanted the ex's info to start garnishing him. GF had no clue what was going on, as she had not contacted FRO---that's when she found out court automatically sends it to them.
          So the they had to sign the FRO withdrawal form.

Comment

FRO is about 3 months behind. Try contacting the court and definitely send in the new/latest order to FRO. You have your own case worker, correct? I often reach my case worker directly, and if not - I hear back from him within 24 hrs. FRO has a 24hr automated telephone number that continually updates information. You need your case # and pin # to access it. I'd rather speak to my worker personally, but I do use the 24hr line as well. I no longer "believe" that the Court automatically does anything (after the experience I had). Better to involve yourself directly in this. It will get done faster.

Comment

hadenough: sounds like you are totally organized. You have provided excellent advice to the poster. In Alberta we have an on-line system but you still have to watch out for incorrect entries. Happened to me several times. If you discover a discrepancy you have to persist until the correction is made.

Watch the numbers carefully - they do make mistakes.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X