No announcement yet.

Internet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Used computers that are very good for web browsing sell for 60$, CRT monitors (big ones) are like 20$ from a used computer store - would need wirless card though (20$ more). Thats about as cheap as you can go. If you are in an apartment perhaps you can share with a neighbour

Comment

That's at least $113.00 for something which may be adequate or will die a couple of months later. That doesn't include software (including anti-virus software), internet fees etc. I owe for a student loan, which I'm not paying (have signed "Payment plan -- i.e. they know I'm unemployed). Eldest son needs driving lessons to make himself employable. Younger child needs braces (NOT cosmetic -- Dad not paying there either, but that's another story)...How the heck am I supposed to pay for everything when I DON'T HAVE THE MONEY!

Comment

Not everyone needs or can afford internet... I get that.. But if homework needs to be done it needs to be done... you wait for the computer if need be at the library.

What the hell did people do in the old days.... My parents took me to the library.

Comment

In the old days, we didn't need internet. The school supplied students with text books (which lasted many years and paid for by tax payers of many kinds), and we carried them back and forth between school and home. Only had to open the books to the appropriate pages and read.
          You can't always book a computer at the library. On weekends and evening hours, it's very difficult to book a 1/2 time slot at the library, which isn't enough time to do all the required homework.

Comment

Originally posted by Epona View Post
            In the old days, we didn't need internet. The school supplied students with text books (which lasted many years and paid for by tax payers of many kinds), and we carried them back and forth between school and home. Only had to open the books to the appropriate pages and read.
            You can't always book a computer at the library. On weekends and evening hours, it's very difficult to book a 1/2 time slot at the library, which isn't enough time to do all the required homework.
            There were always research projects that required more than a textbook.

The Internet is a convenience not a hindrance.

Comment

The internet is a convenience only for those who can afford it. Otherwise it is a hindrance to education when students are REQUIRED to submit work via email/internet to their teachers. For those who have internet, that's fine and dandy -- no big deal.
              For those who don't have internet, it becomes a big deal. As you may have noticed in libraries, there aren't as many books circulating. The number of books is actually decreasing.

Comment

As you may have noticed in libraries, there aren't as many books circulating. The number of books is actually decreasing.
                ... to be replaced by e-books which also contribute to saving trees.The important thing is getting them to read. Just another point of view.

Comment

Unfortunately for some and fortunately for others, technology is the way of the future. Computers/internet are the norm now a days. More and more schools are going paperless and for good reasons. One can get so much more research done via the internet than using a text book. There are many schools that are introducing Ipads into the curriculum. The older the student gets the more important a computer/internet becomes. Very, very rarely are handwritten assignments accepted anymore. One big reason is plagiarism. With typed documents once can feed this through a scanner and a program can pick up on any plagiarism. Not having a computer can really hinder the school work of older children.

That being said, the schools have libraries that are open on most breaks and after school. In college I spent sometimes 4 hours after classes in the school computer lab.

Unfortunately the cost to purchase a computer/lap tops can be expensive and one that some people have to save up for. The cost of internet is even more expensive. There have been a few months where I have considered cancelling my internet due to the cost, even though I require it for work.

Comment

Times have changed. I would hope the school library would have some time for the kids to access the net and get things done.

As for access outside of school, I've had some issues in my apartment (landlord shares his wireless access with us) and my son has taken his tablet to Tim Hortons or McDonalds, where wifi is free. It could be possible to research something online when at school or Tim's, work on it offline at home, then submit from the library or Tim's.

Comment

Internet IS expensive. And its true that even grade 2, grade 3 kids are coming home with homework that require internet. Not everyone CAN afford internet even if it is $30 dollars month because that $30 could be used towards groceries. Families who are on social assistance really struggle because the govt does not pay enough to pay rent and feed kids. hey have to loo into food banks and thrift stores and life can be really hard. Families with children in higher grades do NEED internet for schools and the library is not a daily solution for that. It IS tough!

Comment

While I agree that not everyone can afford Internet my ex does earn good money... She also receive set off child support from me.... Again though it's not the point... There is free Internet everywhere that can be used either way the homework needs to be done...

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                        Working...
                        X