Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Parenting Issues

Parenting Issues This forum is for discussing any of the parenting issues involved in your divorce, including parenting of step-children.

Old 06-01-2018, 10:37 AM

Asphenaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
As per the ministry: http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/saf...car-seat.shtml

Ontario’s Highway Traffic Act requires children weighing 18 kg to 36 kg (40 to 80 lb.), standing less than 145 cm (4 ft. 9 in.) tall and who are under the age of 8 to use a booster seat or allows the continued use of a forward-facing seat as long as the car seat manufacturer recommends its use. It’s best to keep your child in a booster seat until they reach the manufacturer’s recommended maximum weight and height limits.
It's a good thing my son is 12 now because he'd still be in a booster seat. He barely weighs 80lbs and stands a slight bit under 4'9". Maybe I should text the ex before she starts court proceedings.

No idea why age would affect safety when height and weight are the key factors.
Old 06-04-2018, 12:29 PM

youngdad91 is an unknown quantity at this point

how old is the child? I think the child has to be under 8 to require a carseat. over 8, forget it.

Also, laws different. When I was in florida, a child doesn't need a booster seat. Mom would have probably bitched and whined about that because it is a law in Ontario but I was not in Ontario and was not breaking any laws in Florida.

Ignore these things from the other parent. If they are concerned, they can contact the police or the CAS - to whome you would deny riding without carseat if your child required one by law - and make sure you ride with car seat.

I can confirm my child has told me hundreds of times riding without a car seat in her moms time - so just know that the other parent has probably already done what you have done at some point.
Old 06-12-2018, 05:58 PM

Pursuinghappiness will become famous soon enough

Just to throw a wrench in the argument since I work in automotive. They have recently done another multitude of studies with various child car seats and NONE of them make a child safer in a car...although the lighter they are, the safer they are.

Believe it or not, the whole car seat argument is moot because the safest thing is to actually buckle your kids in...and that's it. For babies, to create the lightest, lowest center of gravity would be the best. The reason is simple....anything weighing anything in a car will fly in a crash condition. So you are anchoring your kid to something heavy which basically acts like a projectile in a crash situation. There have been studies on this for a long time, however, because car seats are such a huge market (and getting larger) and because of perception/hysteria...car seats will be in use for a long time to come regardless of the actual data.