X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joint Bank Account

Hi,

Does anyone know if it is it possible to remove my wife from a joint bank account if I take the divorce papers to the bank?

I asked if I can just remove her but that can't be done without her signature and she is already out of the country. I can however close the account by myself but I would like to keep this account since it is grandfathered and I won't be able to get it again.

Thanks

To my knowledge, it is not possible to turn a joint account into a non-joint account.

Speaking to the "first tier" tellers, they won't even admit to being able to freeze the account, much less close it.

Asking to speak to a manager, I was told I could freeze, or close the account, but not make it a "sole" account.

If I remember correctly, I was told when I converted the account to joint that I couldn't convert it back.

However this all depends on whom you talk to at your bank. I have learned that when someone says "it's impossible" it suddenly becomes possible when you go up a level in management.

Comment

I've had my account for 35 years. While I was married it was joint. When we separated we both signed for it to be single again (just like me )

Comment

I, too, was able to turn a grandfathered joint account back into a single one. At first the bank told me it was impossible, but I went all the way to the manager, and she made it happen with my home branch. It worked because I had been the original account owner before it was made joint, and because my ex wrote and signed a letter saying he was aware of everything and consented.

I don't think the manager would have gone to bat for me like that if it hadn't been a grandfathered account, and me a longstanding customer who didn't want to open a new one with them.
        Last edited by Rioe; 09-25-2012, 09:48 PM.

Comment

banks have the option to close accounts at their discretion. If you tell them your ex is likely to write ridiculous cheques, trust me, they will close the account (long term or not long term). At the very least they will freeze it. No one wants to get involved in your shit.

They can, and will freeze the account until both of you present together.

Comment

Currenlty she doesn't have access to the money in the account. Her debit card, cheque book, etc. are still with me. I just want to get everything settled.

Right now I have a lot of automatic payments coming from the account and they will also be a pain to change.

Comment

Originally posted by Lava View Post
              Currenlty she doesn't have access to the money in the account. Her debit card, cheque book, etc. are still with me. I just want to get everything settled.

Right now I have a lot of automatic payments coming from the account and they will also be a pain to change.
              You should return these personal items immediately to the other party and do it by courier unless a court has ordered that you hold them in your possession.

Comment

Is there $ in the account that has to be split or is there an overdraft that needs to be covered by both parties? If you bring the balance to zero and cover any overdrafts and speak to a manager...they "can" remove one name. It helps to have some leverage as well ie: loyal customer....investments, mortgage that you can "move to another bank" if they dont allow a simple request. Of course I'm speakig from experience...2 teir one banks did it for me...no issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Tayken View Post
                  You should return these personal items immediately to the other party and do it by courier unless a court has ordered that you hold them in your possession.
                  When she went away she left those things behind, her own decision. I did not take them from her.

Comment

Originally posted by Lava View Post

It doesn't matter that you have those. She can go to the bank anytime and arrange for a new bank card and more cheques as long as the account is active and still joint.

If the only reason to keep the account open is for those automatic payments, open a new account and do the work to change them. That hassle is minor compared to what could happen if she empties the account and things start to bounce.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                    Working...
                    X