Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long can somebody use legal aid for?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long can somebody use legal aid for?

Does anyone know if there is a limit to the amount of time a legal aid lawyer can be used? My husbands ex has been using her free lawyer for over 5 years. She does have a low income, but that is because she CHOOSES not to work full time. We, on the other hand, do not have a free lawyer and every time she sends some letter wanting more or wanting to change this or that, we have to pay our lawyer to deal with it and it gets very expensive. I have emailed Legal Aid 3 times to ask them this question and have not recieved a response from them.
    Thanks.

My ex has been using legal aid for last year and half now. Its absolutely mind boggling to me when I see the amount of hours spent by her lawyer on our case. Until recently, I had no answer how legal aid can sponsor her case. I now know that she pledged the house to them so they gave her lawyer unlimited hours to make my life living hell. The problem is some times, even if the parties want to resolve the case and settle outside the court, legal aid would want them to go to court to recover the costs. System is designed to feed itself. Its not your money, its not my money; its all theirs.

And, of course, its all our fault because we all work hard to pay taxes to keep this system running as it is. If we all quit and go on welfare, soon there will be no institution called "legal aid".

Comment

Google legal aid and related search terms and you will find lots of info, including the kinds of cases Legal Aid will take.

I believe they have stock amounts of budgeted hours that they allow for case prep, court attendance, etc.

Comment

Check out this link and contact the office in your area if you have questions: LEGAL AID OFFICES ACROSS CANADA on CanLaw

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X