Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Parenting Issues

Parenting Issues This forum is for discussing any of the parenting issues involved in your divorce, including parenting of step-children.

Old 06-11-2019, 10:20 AM

tilt is on a distinguished road

In Ontario 11 year olds can (and normally do) babysit. 13 is pretty old for a babysitter around the GTA, they can usually get a paying job at $14/hour at 13/14 years old. The babysitting courses are usually full of 9 and 10 year olds (I run some in the GTA). Have you considered sending the kids for a home alone/babysitting course? And maybe a cooking class too so they can make dinner when necessary?
Old 06-11-2019, 10:21 AM

iona6656 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
In Ontario 11 year olds can (and normally do) babysit. 13 is pretty old for a babysitter around the GTA, they can usually get a paying job at $14/hour at 13/14 years old. The babysitting courses are usually full of 9 and 10 year olds (I run some in the GTA). Have you considered sending the kids for a home alone/babysitting course? And maybe a cooking class too so they can make dinner when necessary?
https://www.macleans.ca/society/life...d-at-what-age/

I don't know anyone who is using a babysitter that is 13 years old- much less 11. I don't know anyone who is using 13/14 yrs old come to think of it..my friends all use 16/17 yrs old for their kids.

Does your ex have a house phone? A cell may not be necessary.

Why do you think he's drinking and not taking care of the kids? Have they said he isn't?

Last edited by iona6656; 06-11-2019 at 10:24 AM.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:12 AM

Janus will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorely View Post
What if he leaves the children alone?

They are 11 and 9, they can be left alone. Especially if the parent is just at a nearby store. I'm assuming they have some means of contacting the parent.

Quote:
I saw him parking in front of Beer Store and he walked to convenience store, he smokes.
Currently, smoking is legal in Canada. He is allowed to smoke. He is also allowed to drink beer. I agree it is a little weird that alcohol is legal and other drugs are not, but that's the way it is.

Quote:
I called the kids right away
Seriously? Is this kindergarten? What was your goal for this call? Do you actually care so little about your kids that you value getting your ex in trouble more than the mental health of your offspring?

Quote:
My concern is that blah blah blah
If you have a real concern, call CAS. Otherwise, stop harassing your ex and your kids. When your kids are with your ex, that is not your parenting time.

Normally, I would say you are a helicopter parent, but it is possible that you are just a controlling parent who is having trouble dealing with the loss of control that comes with a divorce.

Your ex is possibly not the best father ever. That doesn't excuse your childish behaviour. How do you think your kids feel about mommy calling them and asking them if they know where daddy is? Not great, that's for sure.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:53 PM

Selfrepmom is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by iona6656 View Post
https://www.macleans.ca/society/life...d-at-what-age/

I don't know anyone who is using a babysitter that is 13 years old- much less 11. I don't know anyone who is using 13/14 yrs old come to think of it..my friends all use 16/17 yrs old for their kids
I had paid babysitting gigs at 11/12 years old and took the St Johns course. I got my first full time summer job as soon as I turned 13, and stopped doing the babysitting as much.

If it is a 9 & 11 year old being left alone for an hour, then it is not a big deal. my partner and his ex have both left their 10 y/o on her own for up to an hour while they go to the store etc.
Old 06-13-2019, 01:15 PM

rockscan will become famous soon enough

A) the kids can be left alone and as Janus has said—control—you don’t get a say.

B) he can drink and smoke all he wants. If he is driving drunk then call the police. Other than that, get over it.

C) if he is bringing them home early then log it. When he comes to court saying you are denying him time you pull out your documentation saying he has given up his time on these dates.

Newsflash: you chose this person to be the father of your children. YOU don’t like him which is why he is no longer your husband. He is still the kids’ father whether you like it or not. Remind yourself of that when you choose to be a control freak about a dad seeing his children.