Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

Old 05-18-2018, 06:10 AM

mom22girls is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by arabian View Post
So what exactly, specifically, is your daughter's "learning disability"? .
A learning disability in written expression. They probably would have labelled it dysgraphia in your time, but they donít use dysgraphia/dyslexia terms anymore in Ontario.

Quote:
I am pleased to hear that you have taken her to a private psychologist (presumably) to have battery of tests performed. I had my son tested privately many years ago and I recall it was in the neighborhood of $1700.
Yes, the price has gone up. The price for everything has gone up. Fortunately insurance covered most it it, because the wait time in public schools is years.

Quote:

I learned many years ago also that schools love to have the under-performing children designated as "learning disabled" so their grades don't affect the school's academic scoring. I also learned that schools who have children designated as "learning disabled" benefit from extra funding. Imagine that?!?
Yes, a school may prefer to to not include under-performing children to help their scoring. Iím not sure that happening here - she kicks butt in math, and now they wonít have her help to raise their math scores.

The school seems to be spending their extra funding on her - a Chromebook, extra software, one-on-one time, a scribe when necessary. Maybe *gasp* they actually care.

Quote:

If you haven't already, have your child's eyesight checked. Hearing testing is another thing that schools fail miserably at. I say this because it is very easy to overlook something like this. Schools also conduct tests without finding out if children need glasses.

Done, and done.
Old 05-21-2018, 02:29 PM

ensorcelled has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Hey mom22girls!

I don't have much to add (because the responses you are getting are depressing and not surprising at the same time a) but I wanted to say kudos to you for doing all you can with your little girl and I know having a special-needs child is all kinds of stress.

Big hugs, you're doing a great job.