This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by youngdad91 View Post
    I usually pay [my lawyer] a nice tip when he renders my accounts.
    Nobody ever tips their lawyer. Seriously, I have never heard of it ever.

Comment

What about the old lady with the will?

Comment

Originally posted by OrleansLawyer View Post
        What about the old lady with the will?
        Well, hopefully I can find her and marry her before she leaves her "tip"...

Comment

An old lady has just signed her Will with her solicitor and, having been presented with the invoice, immediately pays it in full with a crisp, new, $100 bill.

After the old lady departs, the lawyer goes to put the $100 into a safe when he discovers that there are two $100 bills stuck together.

As he goes to the window of his office and looks down at the old lady crossing the street to catch the bus, the lawyer realizes he has an ethical dilemma:

Does he tell share the $100 tip with his partner?

Comment

Originally posted by Janus View Post
            Not officially, no. And it seems actually insane in family law given how much family lawyers make (No joke- I'm seriously considering a practice change)...however, when I was in private practice, I used to get reeeeeally nice christmas presents from my developer clients. And actually the nicest gifts I got were from the ones who owned bars and other adult entertainment establishments.

Comment

Originally posted by OrleansLawyer View Post
              The rule of thumb is that a lawyer will put in two days of work for each day of trial. Based on that schedule, your lawyer is preparing for a ~4 day trial. How long is your matter set down to last?

I recall from a previous thread that you are micromanaging your lawyer. This could be increasing your costs.

Yes, this happens fairly often. However if you do then your ex's lawyer will likely smell blood in the water - any hope of settlement is likely to be gone as well.

Does she have the financial assets (or money coming from you) to offset a cost award?
              Thanks OL. Yes, she can pay my costs.

Comment

Hey Coolguy... that's hilarious, but given the fact that P1 through to P4 are not deterministic, the grade 3 math below is useless.

But I guess amusing to at least you.

Originally posted by CoolGuy41 View Post
                Every Tom, Dick, and Harry involved in a high-conflict matrimonial litigation has had this dilemma. Luckily, I can help.

Scenario #1 - win with lawyer:
                W1(PND wins) = [What's at stake] + [costs to PND] - [Lawyer fees]

Scenario #2 - lose with lawyer (worst-case scenario):
                L2(PND losses) = [What's at stake] + [costs to STBX] + [Lawyer fees]

Scenario #3 - win without lawyer:
                W3(PND wins) = [What's at stake] + [costs to PND]

Scenario #4 - lose without lawyer:
                L4(PND losses) = [What's at stake] + [costs to STBX]

Consider the probability, Pn of each of the above scenarios.

if((P1xW1-P2xL2) > (P3xW3-P4xL4)) use lawyer; else self-represent;

Notes:
                (i) What's at stake is known to you.
                (ii) [costs to PND] < less than what you think it is
                (iii) There is a substantial chance of a partial win that somewhat complicates the equations.

I am happy to have assisted. If however, you are asking the forum for the values of P1 through P4, then you are asking too much of the forum.

Comment

Originally posted by plainNamedDad44 View Post
                  Hey Coolguy... that's hilarious, but given the fact that P1 through to P4 are not deterministic, the grade 3 math below is useless.
                  Deterministic no, but you can actually get a feel for P1 and P2 by searching for trial judgments involving your lawyer. Chances are you'll get fewer results than you expect because only a small percentage of matters get all the way to trial. Zero or very few results is a bad sign; it means your lawyer does not have much trial experience. I just followed my own advice and it doesn't look good for me based on that...

Comment

Originally posted by plainNamedDad44 View Post
                    Reminds me of the Drake equation. It completely accurately calculates the probability of finding extraterrestrial life... you just need to figure out the component probabilities.

That's left as an exercise to the reader.

Comment

This thread has deteriorated beyond anything useful. Shutting it down before any further name calling and personal attacks get posted.

Thanks for coming out, don't leave your garbage under the seats.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                      Working...
                      X