X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opposing is Demanding Nonexistent Pension

Good Morning,

I work in the federal government and have been contributing to my pension since I started here back in 2003. When my ex and I started the separation process I paid an independent actuary about $500 to prepare a pension valuation. Now my ex's lawyer is demanding pension dating back to when my ex and I started living together back in January 2000. The problem here is that I worked in a private company and never contributed towards a pension.

Is this just the case of a lawyer who may be misinformed or can he actually try to collect money from a pension that didn't exist those years?

Also, my ex collected a pension for the last year we were together yet her and her lawyer seem to ignore our requests for her to have pension valued. Her lawyer acts like it is a ridiculous claim to make but my point of view is why should I be giving her half of one of my years when she was contributing to her own pension that year.

Thanks

This is how lawyers make money - draining money from stupid ex's by creating unreasonable demands and expectations.

Comment

You have your lawyer respond ONCE to this request.

I did not accrue a pension from 2000 to 2003 as I was with company X that did not offer this as an alternative. My pension start date is X, and the valuation is Y as per the documents already provided.

Please provide the valuation for STBX's pension for the year Y from her time at company XYZ so we might properly determine asset valuation.

Your response required within 14 days.

Then if they still don't provide it, instruct your lawyer to continue to push forward. They will spend $1000's in useless back and forth if you let them. Respond, then push forward. Instruct your lawyer to not respond to further requests as above, and to move forward.

Comment

Originally posted by NBDad View Post
        You have your lawyer respond ONCE to this request.

I did not accrue a pension from 2000 to 2003 as I was with company X that did not offer this as an alternative. My pension start date is X, and the valuation is Y as per the documents already provided.

Please provide the valuation for STBX's pension for the year Y from her time at company XYZ so we might properly determine asset valuation.

Your response required within 14 days.

Then if they still don't provide it, instruct your lawyer to continue to push forward. They will spend $1000's in useless back and forth if you let them. Respond, then push forward. Instruct your lawyer to not respond to further requests as above, and to move forward.
        Good, that is exactly the way I approached it. My lawyer has explained everything to them and they are now shuffling their feet about having her pension valued.....bottom line is they have to do it.

Thanks!

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X