Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rights for Spousal Support

Hello again, everyone.

I've divorced myself a couple of years ago, now I'm helping a female friend to go through hers.

I have a bunch of questions.
    Do you think the facts of domestic abuse by her ex- will/could affect judgment with regard to spousal support and/or equalization payment?

It is quite feasible to make an argument that his actions affected her professional development and thus he is financially responsible for it.

Otherwise, they both are working, and let's assume he makes 50% more.

Thank you in advance. She has a lawyer, but I'm not really happy with her (her client is unaware of many things) so I'm doing independent research.

Originally posted by randomjohndoe View Post
    Hello again, everyone.

I've divorced myself a couple of years ago, now I'm helping a female friend to go through hers.

I have a bunch of questions.
    Do you think the facts of domestic abuse by her ex- will/could affect judgment with regard to spousal support and/or equalization payment?

It is quite feasible to make an argument that his actions affected her professional development and thus he is financially responsible for it.

Otherwise, they both are working, and let's assume he makes 50% more.

Thank you in advance. She has a lawyer, but I'm not really happy with her (her client is unaware of many things) so I'm doing independent research.
    Equalization no, spousal I'm not sure.

Divorce in Canada is no fault

Comment

How did his actions affect her work? Did he not allow her to work? Does she have proof of this? Unless she gave up work for the family, her claim to SS may be limited.

Comment

As FB mentioned, divorce in Canada is no fault, so abuse will likely have no impact.

If your friend wanted to try and say the abuse hurt them professionally, they had better have evidence to back this up. Without evidence that their career suffered, the claim is bound to be dismissed.

As for whether they are entitled, that is based off of two criteria, compensatory or non-compensatory. If there are kids and your friend stayed home to raise them for years, they will likely have sound argument for SS. Non-compensatory is when there is a large difference in income. You said the STBX makes about 50% more, for easy numbers we'll use $75k and $50k. With that, I'd say there isn't much justification for non-compensatory SS as they make 40% of the net family income.

Comment

Thanks everyone. She's been on long term disability as a result of his actions now for a considerable period of time. She still has income and her position is awaiting her, though.

Oh well, then I guess she'll have to sue for damages in civil court.

Comment

Thanks everyone. She's been on long term disability as a result of his actions now for a considerable period of time. She still has income and her position is awaiting her, though.

That's unfortunate and certainly something you could base a SS claim off of but I'm not sure how successful that would be.

Was he charged/arrested?

Comment

Originally posted by FB_ View Post
              That's unfortunate and certainly something you could base a SS claim off of but I'm not sure how successful that would be.

Was he charged/arrested?
              Not yet, but I expect that to change soon.

Comment

When was the incident?

If she's already on LTD I don't see this being a recent incident.

Comment

tread carefully with this. If the incidents were not reported when they happened then it may look like a bogus claim for court reasons.

Comment

Mental or physical disability?

Physical - she should have filed charges and left him then
                    Mental - she should have left him then

Comment

SOS, Not to worry, there is plenty of supporting evidence and eyewitness, not including tons of circumstantial stuff.

Billm, this borders on a smart-ass remark. But things don't look so obvious for victims of domestic abuse.

Comment

SOS, Not to worry, there is plenty of supporting evidence and eyewitness, not including tons of circumstantial stuff.

Billm, this borders on a smart-ass remark. But things don't look so obvious for victims of domestic abuse.
                        If I had a penny.....nevermind..

Comment

[QUOTE=randomjohndoe;170722]SOS, Not to worry, there is plenty of supporting evidence and eyewitness, not including tons of circumstantial stuff.

Billm, this borders on a smart-ass remark. But things don't look so obvious for victims of domestic abuse.[/QUOTE]

but no charges filed when the stuff was actually going on? That is the real proof.

So you are an expert on victims of domestic abuse?? I lived it.

Comment

I hesitated before replying to this one ... I was assaulted by my STBX, went to ER and as soon as was able to, pressed charges and he was evicted by the police immediately. It took 18 months for the criminal case to be judged. He was sentenced - end of story.

Does it affect SS claims or property division, the answer is NO. Canada is a no-fault country (I disagree but that's another post)

Although, the aggressor's credibility will certainly be questioned because of the criminal record, it makes no difference financially.

It seems very odd to me that she would have waited all this time before pressing charges? I"m the last person to judge any one who claims to have been abused, but usually these things are taken care of immediately.

Comment

Thank you for your answers. My question was regarding the impact on SS, and that has been answered.

I really can't discuss details of the underlying story, I hope you understand this.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X