This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Class Trips

Are these covered under child support or Section 7?

Originally posted by Berner_Faith View Post
    Are these covered under child support or Section 7?
    See here: http://www.ottawadivorce.com/forum/f...expenses-4328/

And some further reading, if you are interested: http://nathenssiegel.com/pdf/article-expenses.pdf

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

Depends on the specifics. As they say, the devil is in the details.

The $25 day trip to the museum? Covered.
        The $1000 trip for the senior class to Europe? NOT covered.

Comment

Originally posted by NBDad View Post
          Depends on the specifics. As they say, the devil is in the details.

The $25 day trip to the museum? Covered.
          The $1000 trip for the senior class to Europe? NOT covered.
          I agree - but remember as a Section 7 expense, the parent can refuse to pay it.

Comment

Originally posted by billm View Post
            I agree - but remember as a Section 7 expense, the parent can refuse to pay it.

Please explain the parent can refuse to pay it . then come the motion and then comes cost right

Comment

The parent could argue that if the family was intact, a big expense like a class trip to Europe would have been a family discussion and would have been seen as too expensive. Therefore, this parent would not agree to the trip post-divorce. In this case, the parent would argue that they had no input into the affordability of the trip and shouldn't be expected to pay for it.

Comment

I agree with MESS

Just because kids wants the $1000 trip doesn't meanb both parents are obligated to pay. "Affordability" in light of the split family finances needs to be considered.

Comment

Thanks everyone... currently we are not talking about big expensive trips. His son is in grade 1 and they go on little trips throughout the year. The last one cost $25...she wanted him to split... yes $12.50 can be considered pocket change, depending on the situation you are in, but I the biggest factor is she basically nickles and dimes him. In reality he would only have to pay $8.25 as he only pays 1/3 of the costs.

Heck, when I wanted to go on school trips I was expected to take part in all the fundrasing events, save my own money and any money my parents gave me was to be paid back over the summer holidays. Maybe back then I felt it was unfair, but I am glad that's the way my parents were. I was never handed anything, I was always expected to earn it. I don't think kids in divorce should be any different.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                  Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                  Working...
                  X