This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introduction

Please allow me to introduce myself. I was married for 21 years. We have two children a son 21 and a daughter 17. Both children reside with me. I was the “bread winner” of the family and was proud that I was able to support my family. After being served with divorce papers I was inundated with threats from the Family Responsibility Office that I was in arrears. The court order states I am to pay The Director and not the recipient and it took 67 days for them to provide me with a case number. I have been pro active in speaking up about the injustices of our court systems as well as the inadequacies of The Family Responsibility Office. It has been over 20 months since I was served divorce papers and still no resolution. I feel like we are being held hostage and are powerless by being immersed in a gender-biased system. My family and I have been ordered to pay interim support to the tune of $1200/month based on misrepresentation of the facts. Even her lawyer acknowledges the fact that she owes my daughter child support yet to date not a cent has been paid. The petitioner’s lawyer has harassed me with numerous letters threatening me with wage garnishment in spite of the fact that the payments were not in arrears.

I have requested records that every taxpayer of Ontario should be entitled to from the Family Responsibility Office through the Freedom of Information. One question asked is what happens to the interest gained by with holding payments from the recipient. (I have proof even after an electronic payment F.R.O. can take up to 6 days to process the payment.) Presently an adjudicator is reviewing this matter, I have been trying to get answers since September of 2004. Divorce – The never ending torment.

Hi Brian,

Welcome to the divorce forums!

From what it sounds like, you’re paying both spousal support and the cost of raising two children? From what I’ve seen, parents whose children reside with them plus pay spousal support are usually the worst off financially. The new spousal support guidelines seem to take this into account, and if you’re in this situation, it may be worthwhile doing a guidelines calculation. However, the guidelines aren’t law and a judge won’t necessarily apply them. They can be found at:

http://canada.justice.gc.ca/en/dept/...usal/exec.html

The Family Responsibility Office can be quite slow - the 67 days you mention sounds pretty typical. It’s important always to pay your support directly to the FRO unless there’s a signed agreement (called a notice of withdrawal) - see:

http://www.cfcs.gov.on.ca/CFCS/en/pr...rawProgram.htm

Interesting question about interest. I’m not really familiar with the Freedom of Information Act. I’ve quickly flipped through the statute and regulations governing the Family Responsibility Office and I didn’t see anything there about interest. Let me know how the review goes.

The good news is that both children live with you - that’s great!
    Ottawa Divorce

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
    Working...
    X