X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Divorce advice

Hi,

Background:.

I live in Toronto, A Canadian, Last year I got married in India (arranged marriage), and sponsored my wife into canada, she is been here for 7 months. She is not happy with me and we have frequent alterations , she also physically abused me and also threatened to kill me.I reliased she married me only for the Cdn Immigration. She also has plans to marry someone else.

Situation:

1. Since I sponsored her recently, How can I divorce her ? how to proceed?
    2a. Since she is completely dependent on me, do I have to support her indefinately?
    are we talking about indefinate spousal support
    2b. Based on this situation, how long and how much do you think I have to support her?
    3a. Since I was married in India, Can I file for divorce in India?
    3b. Is it better for me to file for divorce here in Canada?
    3c. If I get divorce in India is it valid here or viceversa?
    4. Do I have to be separated before I file for divorce?
    5. What if She doesn't want to divorce me?

I am a mess right now, please advise. Thanks......

I myself am seeking a divorce from my husband who I sponsored to Canada 2 1/2 years ago. I have already been told by a judge that I will need to provide spousal support even though my husband has a permanent, full-time job. I will probably need to pay a very small monthly amount based on the differences of our incomes (I make more) for 2 years since we only cohabitated for around 2 years (married for 4, but due to immigration, didn't arrive in Canada until much later).

You can divorce your wife, but you will have to pay spousal support - especially since you've signed a sponsorship agreement. On top of that, you will be responsible to the government if she goes on welfare up until your sponsorship agreement is up - should be 3 years from landing. There is absolutely no way out of a sponsorship agreement.

How long have you been married, how long have you been living together? that will play a role in how long. How much money you make will also determine spousal support.

I believe you still need to file for divorce in Canada since this is your place of residence.

No, you don't necessarily need to be physically separated for a divorce but you would both need to know that you are "separated" in that there is no longer a relationship and no hope of reconciling. many people live under the same roof during the divorce process due to financial constraints.

Hope this information helps, I'm not 100% on the law, but as you can see, I've been in a similar situation to yours!

Comment

WOW that's really awful.

I would get a divorce lawyer, with knowledge of immigration issues. I think you can get the marriage annulled, but since you sponsered her you might be responsible to support her for a number of years. Very sad!

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X