How did/do you survive financially?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gooddadgoingmad
    Grace...when I read that you paid over $100 for gas, it was the first time I felt thankful for living in the north! I don't even have a skidoo here....I just bought a plastic kids sled and that's how I get my groceries back from the store! ha! I walk everywhere here....brrrr.
    Now that's innovation. Working with a smaller budget takes quite a bit of that. Sometimes I wish bartering would come back into style.

Comment

This might be a good time to revive this thread considering the economy these days.
      I've been toughing it out raising 4 kids without child support since Aug 2005 on a yearly pay of about $32,000 to $35,000 before taxes and medical/dental benefits.
      I only squeaked past $35,000 this year due to a 2nd job I had during the summer with a pay so low it didn't even qualify to have any deductions removed.
      I am extra careful with what I spend and tend to be a serious deal hunter. Last week the local Giant Tiger was trying to clear stock before moving over to their newly built store right beside, and I managed to get 3 massive bags of kid clothes, running shoes, girly belts for my daughter etc for absolutely disgusting prices (one pair of jeans for my daughter came up to $1.75 after the rebates!).
      Also, check re-sales, places where people get rid of gently used clothes. And of course look for salvation army stores in your area as you can find many items there for mere cents most times.

I have a very detailed budget I keep in excel, dividing up my pays to put money here & there on bills, vehicle payments, rent etc. I have kept it since July 2006 (every month is on it's own tab) and this allows me to know what is going where, thus if there is a need for something immediately, I can go back to the tab for the month and make any adjustments if need be to ensure things are ok.

I do not budget the child support I have very slowly started to get because I know I cannot rely on it showing up regularly - it's always been in arrears with little wisps of a couple hundred here & there showing up. My ex is now about $3600 in arrears already, with his Feb payment coming due in 2 days. There has been 2 Federal Deduction notices placed on the case, one Dec 19th and another Feb 23rd - though nothing has come from those as of yet.

Every little bit counts!

Comment

I've had to move back in with my parents to deal with the financial side of divorce. I was saddled with a ton of debt from the marriage, mostly the result of my ex's mismanagement. In addition, I've got thousands in legal fees which have gotten me nowhere. After 2.5 years at home, I'm a few months away from being totally debt-free.

Great, you say! That's exciting isn;t it? Well, yes and no. Now I need to address spousal support and equalization on top of the child support I've already been paying. I'm negotiating with the ex trying to get a set, lump-sum amount for SS but even if she agrees, I'll still be stuck at home for another year trying to plow through it all. If she doesn't then I'll be on the hook forever.

Looking at my budget when I move out is fairly grim. Even without any spousal support payment at all, I only have maybe $200/mth left over after CS, rent, bills, transportation and food. That has to cover EVERYTHING ELSE. Put even a small SS payment in there and I'm basically forced into getting a second job just to survive... which of course will only up the amount of CS and SS I'll be on the hook for.

Spousal support is supposed to create a level playing field so that the recipient has a chance to get ahead. Unfortunately, the payor is often buried under that playing field and forgotten about.

Divorced dads are the Jimmy Hoffas of family law.

Comment

If you took on the greater of (or all of) the matrimonial debt, this should be factored into the SS payment amount and/or the lump sum amount.
          Do a forum search for calculations of SS and you'll find many threads with links and calculations to help you understand where you stand in all of this.

At the top of the page is "search”, click it and in the "search Forum" field type your parameters, and choose to show threads or individual posts.

Good luck!

Comment

How do we survive? By the skin of our teeth. We took a hard look at our "discretionary" expenses. We don't have cable, although we are forced to have high-speed internet for my work, however we save money because we bundled our packages together. We don't eat out. We plan our meals in advance every week and go to the grocery store with a list. If it's not on the list, we don't get it. We have a cash budget. Every pay I take out the amount we have allocated to spend for specific things and it goes into envelopes. When we need to buy something we are forced to think ahead and get the cash from the house. Saves us a ton on impulse buys. We brown bag it at work. The kids take lunches in reusable containers. That allows us to buy healthier snack and package up the right amount. Not only does it saves us money and it's better for the environment too. We carpool and take the bus as much as possible. We shop at goodwill/Value Village a lot for clothes, especially for the kids. What's the point of spending $100s on things they're going to outgrow in less than a year! We spend money where the money counts. They always have good quality coats/shoes. I have two neices the same age as my daughter, we rotate toys between the three girls every few months, same with clothes. Hope these suggestions help out!

Comment

My matrimonial debts are included in my equalization calculation, but don't have much bearing on my spousal now that I have them all paid off. A lot of the debt related to my student loans, which I was unable to pay down significantly during the marriage because of her refusal to work.

On the one hand, paying all my debts down puts me in a better financial position overall, but at the same time it probably increases the amount of SS she can get from the courts. The frustration that I have - and I'm sure shared by many here - is that because I worked like a dog to support her while married and then sacrificed so much since then to be responsible and get my debt down, I now have to pay her all that much more.

My labour, her benefit. It's easy to understand how someone can get disheartened.

Comment

The math works out for my husband like this - husband makes $62,000. Ex-wife made 20,000 one year (the rest of the time she made less or was in school, her choice to do that as she was already employable). So I'll use the 20,000 year. After taxes, child support, extra-ordinary expenses and access costs, he is left with $30,200. Assume ex-wife makes 20,000/year = minus tax + CS + full CCTB + full TAX breaks, + full GST rebate = 42,000. Funny thing is, when the children visit here, we are supporting 4 children (their 2 plus our 2), when the children visit here she is supporting 0 children. The guidelines make no sense financially and do not account for the child care expenses non-custodial parents have above and beyond CS payments. Nor do they take into account any additional children in the payers home.
                How do we survive? We both have to work and I have had to cash in a lot of my RRSP's to pay the mortgage/bills/access costs for visits. We live extremely frugally. We don't go on holidays and just enjoy the small things in life, like time together.

Comment

Garage sales are great and allow your money to go further. Why buy a new kid's bike for $150 when you can find them for $25 at a garage sale. I have also picked up used toys, slides, climbers, Tonka trucks, furniture at a fraction of the price of new items.

Comment

Bumping this thread a bit, since I'm just entering this new stage of life.

I am scared to death, frankly. I make just about $60,000 a year, and my CS will be $930, plus the ex has our young daughters in daycare and before/after school care, so I have to pay 70% of those costs as well. It'll take time before the child care subsidy is processed, so I get to pay $773 in daycare, plus $820 in rent on a new apartment.
                    Okay, so I make $2650 a month. And I now get to pay out $2523. And that's not even factoring in ANY other expenses.

And even after the daycare subsidy finally goes through, I'm looking at paying out $2100 a month.

At this rate, I'll have to end up moving in with my girlfriend, just to save cash.

Comment

Does anybody else use Freecycle? There are groups that trade things instead of throwing them away. The one in Kanata is the Kanata Freestore, and for Ottawa it is Ottawa Full Circles.
                      Good luck. 8)

Comment

I've been able to get stuff for the kids on the freecycle groups as well as get rid of things that the kids grew out of and/or we no longer use, they are great if you have the ability to pick up the items.

Comment

Stubbs, and all the others posting on the financial burden and the obvious unfairness of the calculations. You are not along, and I know that's not going to ease the financial burden that you have, nor change the existing family law rules, but you can take your financial statement with proof of bills and seek to have the child support reduced. Don't get me wrong, I know that this is a very hard thing to do and many have failed trying. If you are willing to take a stand and ask that the judge review your case on it's individual merits and ask that you get some reprieve to allow you to afford the basics like a decent home to bring the children to or a reliable car to facilitate these visits and more important facilitate the rising costs of getting to work to earn that pay cheque to pay your support.
                          It's a long shot but can be done without a lawyer or minimal lawyer involvement. This is a route you could consider. We were fortunate at one point on EI to seek to have support reduced below the table amount for a short time. Others have not been so lucky as you have read, but again it may be something you may want to look into. I wish you all the best.
                          FL

Comment

I would like to address the issue on CS payments by "responsible" fathers in this current economic downturn.
                            Am I alone in thinking that forcing CS payments through EI deductions is absolutely ludicrous in trying to rebuld this country'd economic situation.
                            I have been laid off now for close to 10 months, (auto sector), and the fact that I am still paying the agreed amount through deductions off my EI is somewhat disturbing.
                            How can the government kick start the economy if the "responsible" dads are living cheque to cheque with no monies to put back into the economy.
                            I might add, that my ex, who is still currently working in the auto sector made over 80G last year?
                            I am definately in favour of the whole FSO obligations, but if the government seems to think hat freezing Credi Card interest rates, and lowering the Bank of Canada rates will improve the crisis it's badly mistaken.
                            In order to kick start this crisis we need people buying goods and services, which at present, with the strict CS laws in this country, will more than likely involve 20% of the working class dads that have kept with their original agreements, but are on the verge of bankruptcy trying to maintain the payments.
                            In the UK if your unemployed for no matter how long a period of time your CS stops until you are back to work. No questions asked.
                            And this government thinks Canada will be the first to lead it's way out of this recession??
                            I find that hard to believe!
                            Petetion anyone ??

Comment

goinbrokeinont, I don't think a system of automatically continuing the same CS amount OR automatically discontinuing it is the ideal situation. I understand the difficulties posed by your situation and recognize its unreasonable. At the same time, if Canada decided to go with the UK system, you'd have the receiving parents (and the kids) suddenly and severely disadvantaged as well.

In your situation it wouldn't create a huge problem for your ex because she is working and making good money. For a mom who was also unemployed, however, losing CS altogether would be devastating.

I would think a solution which might work more fairly for all would be to treat CS more like SS if one parent loses their job. That is, instead of just looking at the straight up table amount based on your old salary or setting the CS amount to zero, look at it more like "needs vs. ability to pay". In your situation, your payment might be reduced to nothing or next to nothing until you're working again, if it's found that the ex's need is small relative to your ability to pay. If your ex was also unemployed however, then her need relative to your ability to pay would be greater, and thus a bigger ding off your EI cheque.

Any thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by goinbrokeinont View Post
                                In the UK if your unemployed for no matter how long a period of time your CS stops until you are back to work. No questions asked. ...
                                This makes no sense - when you are unemployed, do you stop eating, paying the rent, buying the necessities of life? No, so why is it okay that you pay NO child support, certainly you are surviving somehow (EI in your case, or loans, savings, selling assets) and you are required to support your children as you are supporting yourself.

I agree with About_Time's post - CS should be based on income or if non happening, then on ability to /need of the child...

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                                Working...
                                X