Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Case Conference - what should I expect?

I am representing myself in Superior Court. I have used a lawyer on the four previous occassions, but simply do not have the financial means this time around.
    The issues are custody, child support arrears and extraordinary expenses.
    I would appreciate any tips or suggestions on what to expect and how to prepare.

Many thanks in advance.

Are you the Applicant or Respondent?

Who initiated the case conference?

Have you done a case conference brief?

My ex initiated the case conference, I did my own conference brief and basically made my comments with respect to his statements. It is important to state your concerns as well as what you want to have done pertaining to the issues that need to be dealt with.

The type of form you use depends on whether you are the applicant or the respondent.

Comment

Link for Court Forms

Here is the link for Court Forms.

Ontario Court Services

You will find the correct form to use depending if you are the Applicant or the Respondent for your case conference.

Comment

Thank you.
        I am the Respondent.
        I have a few more questions.....
        Is the Affidavit the correct form for my case conference brief?
        If my position remains unchanged from my Response to Motion, do I still have to submit a case conference brief?
        I was sent the case conference notice via e-mail today (March 29th) followed by an attempted courier delivery that I did not receive as I was at work. Is that an acceptable form of service? The case conference is scheduled for April 7th. Does that meet the 7 days required notice?

Comment

Case Conference Information

Lee:

Sorry was up to my ying yang in legal stuff and work last night.

You need to do your own brief, first and foremost.

Use the link I gave you to find the form for the respondent.

That is what I was as well, it is form 17A, Case Conference Brief (General)

Basically rebuttal anything you feel substantiates your case and keep it in the same format as was used by your ex.

You will also need a financial statement done, and you have 30 days after the date you were served to complete an answer (Form 10).

Financial statement gets filed with your brief. The brief needs to be served to the court house. If you choose to do it yourself that is fine but you will also need an affidavit of service, plus an affidavit for the court saying that you have no legal counsel.

If you have any other questions, I will try to research and find the link to give you information about serving the documents

I believe you have 4 days prior to the case conference to have the documents filed in the court house. You also need to have your ex (or her lawyer given a copy.

Hopefully this helps somewhat.

Comment

Case Conference - Right to questioning

I had my case conference on December 22nd.

I then received a letter from his lawyer stating that we were given the right to questioning and that they do not have any questions at this time. They expect to hear from me by January 10, 2011 or they will assume that I have no questions for their client.

Can anyone explain to me what this means?

Do I have access to the transcript of my Case Conference Brief? Do I submit questions about what transpired in the Brief or am I to ask questions about things filed in applicants 15B and other affidavit's filed.

What do I do now? Is there a proper form or procedure to ask questions. What questions do I have the right to ask after a case conference?

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X