Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Parenting Issues

Parenting Issues This forum is for discussing any of the parenting issues involved in your divorce, including parenting of step-children.

Old 04-13-2018, 10:47 PM

denbigh is on a distinguished road

Quote:
what is a better/more appropriate way to handle things going forward if I dont get much notice from my company?
WEll, you do what everybody does when they have children and dont have arents do when they dont have a grandparent willing to drop everything in their own life, or living close enough to take kids on no notice. You take a different job. I wouldnt even consider a job traveling out of town.

It doesnt matter that you are travelling for work and your ex wants to take a trip. That does not prioritze you over the ex. If you expect to have your ex drop her plans so you can travel, and it sounds like this happens with some frequency, you have to expect the same in return. It is pretty unreasonable for you to treat yourself in one way, and then expect a months notice when the situation is reversed.
Old 04-14-2018, 10:51 PM

youngdad91 is an unknown quantity at this point

there are two different issues here.

1. You get 3-5 day short notice from work for travelling for work.

2. Mom is giving you short notice for her travel.

Mom needs to give you proper notice for travel (courts usually order parents to give 30 days notice for travel) . Both parents should consent to the travel. The border will generally require travel consent signed by both parents. Don't bring in the work schedule travel issues because the mom and the courts will turn that against you to help mom justify her giving you short notice and make you look unreasonable - they do this all the time with fathers. Yes, the family court system in Canada is sexist and favours women over men - just tally up all the spousal support men have been awarded over the last few decades.

Lastly, is mom scheduling her travel over your access period ?