Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

New posts


  Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

Closed Thread
Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2010, 02:38 PM
szepj1 szepj1 is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1
szepj1 is on a distinguished road
Default Child support after child has completed high school

This may already be covered here but when I did a search under the above criteria, I came up with 500 hits. Call me lazy, but after going through about 50 of them, I decided on a more direct approach.

My son's due to graduate from high school next year. There are, as I can see it, a number of possible scenarios:

1.) he goes on to attend university in the same city and continues to live with his mother, the custodial parent, about 1/2 the time -or-

2.) he goes on to attend university in another city -or -

3.) he takes a year (or more) off from school and looks for work.

In scenario 1.), I would not have a problem with the continuance of the CS. I also have money set aside in the form of RESP's (none of which have been contributed to by my ex). It would be my position however that, as I'm continuing to pay CS, would any extra over and above that and the amount from the RESP's not come from my ex?

In scenario 2.), could I not re-direct the CS to an account that is accessible only by my child and myself, in a joint arrangement? I may know the answer to this one; only if agreed upon by my ex which is not likely.

In scenario 3.), would the CS not stop as soon as:
a.) his high school attendance ends and he makes no motion towards starting university -or-
b.) his high school ends and he finds work.

In the case of scenario 3.), if I make the motion to terminate the CS based on the fact that he is now or will soon be working, can my ex decide to enforce the payments under the guise of spousal support? I do not believe that anywhere in our divorce agreement has the term spousal support been formerly address; the amount that I am to pay [and have failthfully done so for about 15 years] has always been referred to as CS.

Further in scenario 3.): am I liable for the CS until he gets a job, if he continues to live part time at his mother's?
Old 10-14-2010, 03:57 PM
rustedinnocence's Avatar
rustedinnocence rustedinnocence is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Southwestern Ontario
Posts: 156
rustedinnocence is on a distinguished road

i can't help you with all of it but i can with some of it...
once a child is 18 and not enrolled in school, whether or not they have a job, you are no longer resonsible to pay child support...
You HAVE to filter the funds through their mother unless their mother agrees to you depositing the money into the students account...
...if you were legally married (not common law), I believe your ex has a right to TRY and seek spousal support (there is no time limitations) but it is NOT the same as child support and she would have to start a claim for spousal. Seeing as so many years have passed without her ever claiming spousal, you'd have a good case to fight it, i would think.... but I'm no lawyer.... maybe someone else knows more.
Closed Thread

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
paying child support without a court order Roni Divorce & Family Law 18 09-18-2010 07:47 PM
Reinstating Child Support maggie99 Financial Issues 14 09-01-2010 12:47 PM
When child support ends... paris Financial Issues 3 04-23-2010 10:04 PM
Child Support and returning to school edge Financial Issues 6 02-11-2009 04:29 PM
Child Support Question Gwen Financial Issues 10 10-16-2008 11:54 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:29 AM.