Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

Old 09-10-2018, 04:09 PM

plainNamedDad44 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockscan View Post
The problem is she is claiming she cant work, isnt working, has no ability to work etc. In actual fact, she is capable of working and is doing so in a manner to hide earnings. If she is able to stand for hours at a farmers market selling products she would have to prepurchase, she is able to work and has the funds to buy products.

It also demonstrates she is withholding info and filing untrue documents.

RS, you're bang on. Thanks.
Old 09-10-2018, 04:10 PM

standing on the sidelines is on a distinguished road

How often is she at this market? How many days and hours. She would have to have a business licence or venders permit I would think. Contact the market to see what it entails to set up a booth then follow the paper trail. The supplier will not and should not tell you anything. You would need a court order I would think for them to disclose any client information.It may cost you more to find things out versus your financial gain.
Old 09-10-2018, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS Mom View Post
The point is, don't spend dollars pursuing pennies, no matter how principled the argument is.
RS's understanding is exact, and him/her having stated it so well should have clarified things for you.

Its good that your an accountant, because your clearly not a lawyer.

I tend not to pay attention to people who flout credentials in place of sound reason and argument and only offer help if i am sure i have sufficiently understood the matter.
Old 09-10-2018, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by standing on the sidelines View Post
How often is she at this market? How many days and hours. She would have to have a business licence or venders permit I would think. Contact the market to see what it entails to set up a booth then follow the paper trail. The supplier will not and should not tell you anything. You would need a court order I would think for them to disclose any client information.It may cost you more to find things out versus your financial gain.
Hi SOTS, she has been their all season, every saturday, and at another one on sundays. She is on one of the market's websites ...
I have infact contacted one of markets, they are preparing a letter confirming she has been their all summer, every saturday. A full day is 7 to 8 hours plus set up and tear down.

The value here is not what she is making... she is claiming she can't work. so it speaks to spousal support. I hope she makes a ton of money. She just should not be lying about it for greed.
Old 09-10-2018, 04:22 PM

rockscan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by standing on the sidelines View Post

This is good advice too.

Also, if she sells a product that is from a brand name with local retailers that are listed, search for that too. For instance Tupperware, stamping Up and scentsy all have places to search for local “consultants”. If you can get a time/date stamped screenshot, that helps too.

MSMom, while your advice is sound from an accounting standpoint, PND is trying to prove his ex is lying more so than she is making money. In his case, proving she is not credible throws out about 95% of her materials. Most of his info can come from free sources too not paying for a PI.

(Also, I believe its in the tens of thousands she will owe him over a long period of time so its totally worth it...)
Old 09-10-2018, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockscan View Post
This is good advice too.

Also, if she sells a product that is from a brand name with local retailers that are listed, search for that too. For instance Tupperware, stamping Up and scentsy all have places to search for local “consultants”. If you can get a time/date stamped screenshot, that helps too.

MSMom, while your advice is sound from an accounting standpoint, PND is trying to prove his ex is lying more so than she is making money. In his case, proving she is not credible throws out about 95% of her materials. Most of his info can come from free sources too not paying for a PI.

(Also, I believe its in the tens of thousands she will owe him over a long period of time so its totally worth it...)
STBX is selling honey and honey derived products. Good money, good margins. So far I have pics and a letter from one of the executives of the related market.

If she wasn't so damn dishonest, I would pay her a generous lump sum of SS and move on. But she is, and I spent 4 years proving to CAS that I am the better parent. As you know RS, my kids live with me. I was even granted sole control of the children's RESP, which I had to freeze at the time of separation.

Sigh... point is, the more I can expose her egregious lack of credibilty, the better for everyone.
Old 09-10-2018, 04:30 PM

I am considering subpoenaing her supplier. She used to date him I understand.

Last edited by plainNamedDad44; 09-10-2018 at 04:32 PM.
Old 09-10-2018, 04:31 PM

iona6656 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS Mom View Post
The point is, don't spend dollars pursuing pennies, no matter how principled the argument is.
I actually agree with this as a lawyer. My family lawyer takes the same approach. My ex has stayed silent on our requests for child support- and both him and his lawyer have ignored requests for his 2017 tax return. I'm fairly certain he actually moved huge amounts of money from the account that was supposed to be joint (a whole other story) to his RSPs to create contingent tax liabilities to reduce his NFP. Both him and his sister are accountants- they'd know this.

So I asked my lawyer:

Shouldn't we demand his 2017 return?
Should we ask for the saving accounts statement for the last year?
Shouldn't we ask for his T4 from the marking he does on the side for the CP?

etc etc etc

My (new) lawyer was like 'slow your roll', strategy. do not waste your money on me corresponding needlessly with his lawyer. The new strategy- get our house in Toronto sold- tie up the proceeds until we mediate a settlement. If we have to go to court, we will.

But yes- find out the information on your own. Arm yourself for sure. But do not start bringing motions or tyring to put this in front of the courts yet.
Old 09-10-2018, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iona6656 View Post
I actually agree with this as a lawyer. My family lawyer takes the same approach. My ex has stayed silent on our requests for child support- and both him and his lawyer have ignored requests for his 2017 tax return. I'm fairly certain he actually moved huge amounts of money from the account that was supposed to be joint (a whole other story) to his RSPs to create contingent tax liabilities to reduce his NFP. Both him and his sister are accountants- they'd know this.

So I asked my lawyer:

Shouldn't we demand his 2017 return?
Should we ask for the saving accounts statement for the last year?
Shouldn't we ask for his T4 from the marking he does on the side for the CP?

etc etc etc

My (new) lawyer was like 'slow your roll', strategy. do not waste your money on me corresponding needlessly with his lawyer. The new strategy- get our house in Toronto sold- tie up the proceeds until we mediate a settlement. If we have to go to court, we will.

But yes- find out the information on your own. Arm yourself for sure. But do not start bringing motions or tyring to put this in front of the courts yet.
The matter is scheduled for Nov trial sittings. I have been at this 6 years.
Old 09-10-2018, 04:37 PM

iona6656 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by plainNamedDad44 View Post
The matter is scheduled for Nov trial sittings. I have been at this 6 years.
Oh shit. off you go then.

Good luck.

Are all her tax filings for the last 3 years up to date?