Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

Old 09-10-2018, 02:06 PM

plainNamedDad44 is on a distinguished road
Default STBX running a cash business - how to gather evidence ?

Hi Community...

I've mentioned on another thread that STBX has been working farmers markets during the summer at least both Saturday's and Sundays and not disclosing this fact or the income.

Its a cash business so I am not sure what to do in terms of garnering proof ?

If I approach her supplier I assume they will tell me to go to hell.

How do I deal with this ? Should I hire a private investigator ?

Thanks
Old 09-10-2018, 02:22 PM

MS Mom is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by plainNamedDad44 View Post
Hi Community...

I've mentioned on another thread that STBX has been working farmers markets during the summer at least both Saturday's and Sundays and not disclosing this fact or the income.

Its a cash business so I am not sure what to do in terms of garnering proof ?

If I approach her supplier I assume they will tell me to go to hell.

How do I deal with this ? Should I hire a private investigator ?

Thanks
Until she files her income tax return for the same year, you don't know that the income isn't being declared.
Old 09-10-2018, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS Mom View Post
Until she files her income tax return for the same year, you don't know that the income isn't being declared.
She just provided a updated financial statement (13.1) with no indication of it.
Old 09-10-2018, 03:06 PM

You said "the summer", unclear whether it's repeated summers or just this summer.

Many businesses operate in cash, it doesn't mean it is not or won't be declared. You're making an assumption that because it's cash, she won't declare it. While that may be entirely correct, if you're only referring to 2018 income, then you're going to have to wait to find out if that is true or not.

Many farmers market businesses operate in cash only, it doesn't mean they're all filing fraudulent returns.
Old 09-10-2018, 03:24 PM

Quote:
You said "the summer", unclear whether it's repeated summers or just this summer.

Many businesses operate in cash, it doesn't mean it is not or won't be declared. You're making an assumption that because it's cash, she won't declare it. While that may be entirely correct, if you're only referring to 2018 income, then you're going to have to wait to find out if that is true or not.

Many farmers market businesses operate in cash only, it doesn't mean they're all filing fraudulent returns.
What I said was it hasn't been *disclosed* on a very recent (last week) financial statement. The rules for completing the 13.1 are very clear, and amounts from this activity should have been disclosed.
Old 09-10-2018, 03:31 PM

rockscan will become famous soon enough

MSMom, this woman has a history of falsifying information. Best to read the history of people’s cases before commenting.
Old 09-10-2018, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockscan View Post
MSMom, this woman has a history of falsifying information. Best to read the history of people’s cases before commenting.

I don't mind MSMom commenting. I thank her for it. But she is saying one thing when I have *clearly* stated a different set of facts.

Thanks to all for your time and input.
Old 09-10-2018, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plainNamedDad44 View Post
I don't mind MSMom commenting. I thank her for it. But she is saying one thing when I have *clearly* stated a different set of facts.

Thanks to all for your time and input.
As an accountant, I caution people on assuming money is being made when it may not be.

You could spend thousands investigating to find out that she didn't disclose a few hundred dollars.
Old 09-10-2018, 03:50 PM

rockscan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
As an accountant, I caution people on assuming money is being made when it may not be.

You could spend thousands investigating to find out that she didn't disclose a few hundred dollars.

The problem is she is claiming she cant work, isnt working, has no ability to work etc. In actual fact, she is capable of working and is doing so in a manner to hide earnings. If she is able to stand for hours at a farmers market selling products she would have to prepurchase, she is able to work and has the funds to buy products.

It also demonstrates she is withholding info and filing untrue documents.
Old 09-10-2018, 04:04 PM

The point is, don't spend dollars pursuing pennies, no matter how principled the argument is.