Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > General Chat

General Chat This forum is for discussing anything that doesn't fit into another forum, or for discussing things that are off topic, or just for general venting.

Closed Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 06:22 PM

frustratedwithex is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan View Post
The link to the vid I posted states zoo officials deny putting the wildlife in the courthouse
Considering, not done yet!
Old 06-22-2013, 02:08 PM

What would you say to someone who's house was completely flooded?

I will be meeting them for the first time in a couple of hours.

They have not been allowed back to see the extent of the damage, but I know from watching the news, their town is one of the hardest hit.
Old 06-22-2013, 02:15 PM

Leviathan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by frustratedwithex View Post
What would you say to someone who's house was completely flooded?

I will be meeting them for the first time in a couple of hours.

They have not been allowed back to see the extent of the damage, but I know from watching the news, their town is one of the hardest hit.

"aww man...is there anything I can do to help??...I mean other than financially (cuz I'm battling my ex right now in court and my lawyer is gouging me like crazy!!!)...I mean not too mention the SS and CS I may be looking at for the next 40 years...S**T guys..I'm so sorry about the house!!..If I could change scenerios with you I would....lets sit and consider that!!"

naw actually that would be kinda mean to say directly...

help out where you can and just be there for them emotionally, really...

good luck and keep us updated Frustrated>
Old 06-22-2013, 05:01 PM

Rioe will become famous soon enough

Quote:
"aww man...is there anything I can do to help??"
I've actually heard that a better thing than making a vague blanket offer is to just do something unasked. Asking people what you can do puts the onus on them, and many are overwhelmed and don't know what they need, and feel bad dictating something even if they did know. Simply bring over a casserole, or offer a hot shower, let them make long distance calls, or take the kids to the park so the adults can take a break from holding it together, etc, something specific that is appropriate to the situation. That way they can gracefully say "oh thank you!" or give you a "no thanks" if they really do not need/want that.

Offer sympathy if it's a situation you have experienced, or a generic "I can't imagine how awful this must feel" if you have no firsthand knowledge. Because unless you know, you don't.
Old 06-22-2013, 05:26 PM

arabian will become famous soon enough

Perhaps rent or reserve a uhaul for them. I would think that there will be a mad rush on any sort of storage containers in the weeks to come. People usually want to get back to homes and, depending upon how much damage there is, remove things they can before someone steals.

There will likely be thousands of people looking for some sort of storage in the coming weeks.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:16 PM

Quote:
"aww man...is there anything I can do to help??...I mean other than financially (cuz I'm battling my ex right now in court and my lawyer is gouging me like crazy!!!)...I mean not too mention the SS and CS I may be looking at for the next 40 years...S**T guys..I'm so sorry about the house!!..If I could change scenerios with you I would....lets sit and consider that!!"

naw actually that would be kinda mean to say directly...

help out where you can and just be there for them emotionally, really...

good luck and keep us updated Frustrated>
Ahh, not very helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rioe View Post
Offer sympathy if it's a situation you have experienced, or a generic "I can't imagine how awful this must feel" if you have no firsthand knowledge. Because unless you know, you don't.
Rioe; Thank you

This was the best advice.

I offered the sentiment, "I can't imagine how awful this is", and it was perfect. We then chatted about when they might be able to return home, that this was the worst flooding ever and I wished them well when they do return home.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:19 PM

Leviathan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by frustratedwithex View Post
Ahh, not very helpful.

Yea..I'm sorry...was my attempt at making things a little funnier...poor choice under the circumstances I guess...my apologies
Old 06-22-2013, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arabian View Post
Perhaps rent or reserve a uhaul for them. I would think that there will be a mad rush on any sort of storage containers in the weeks to come. People usually want to get back to homes and, depending upon how much damage there is, remove things they can before someone steals.

There will likely be thousands of people looking for some sort of storage in the coming weeks.
This was the first time I met them, only for a few minutes. I don't think there will be much to salvage. Where these people live was one of the hardest hit. They said they had no warning and the water came very, very fast. No time to move things to higher parts of the house.

They have lived in the area for many years and prepared for floods before. They typically have time to sandbag and move belongings. Not this time.

There are pictures of police cars submerged in water. They were sent to warn people to evacuate. In the time it took the officer to get out of the cruiser and walk to the building, the water covered the car. The water didn't just creep over the river bank, it raged.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:54 PM

mcdreamy is on a distinguished road

It's awful, some of my family is out in Calgary, I've been calling them every morning (they are on high ground, and took in some evacuees).

We were actually there for the Stampede 2 years ago, I can't imagine it will be up and running in time for this year. It will be weeks and weeks of clean up.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:08 PM

Yep, this is where the rodeo and chuckwagons will be! With any luck anyways.
Closed Thread