Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What should be included as income when calculating child support ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should be included as income when calculating child support ?

Can anyone here tell me what should be included as " income " when calculating child support ?

Obviously all income from an hourly wage should be included , but what about bonuses , commissions , government child tax benefit payments and income tax refunds ?

Example : a person earns $ 40 ,000 per year , gets $ 1500 per year in commissions , a $ 500 bonus once per year , receives $ 200 per month from the government for the Ontario child benefit and a $ 3000 tax refund .

When calculating child support depending on what is included and what is not , it could be as low as $ 40,000 and as high as $47,400

This is a tricky question. Technically you are to update cs when your income changes but for most people they do it annually after taxes are filed. In your example, you are calculating it at tax time. Therefore, anything that is a regular occurring income amount should be included. That means the commission is considered income. If the bonus is not a regular occurring item (my husband got $1000 the year before last and then $200 this year) then it can be argued its not included. You have to ask yourself if it makes a difference that is worth court over.

Baby bonuses and tax returns are not income for cs purposes.

Comment

I think bonuses would be included as income regardless of if they are reoccurring or not... example my husband is strictly commission paid. If he meets certain targets he is awarded a bonus on top of his regular commission. Some times he goes months without hitting a bonus and sometimes he gets them 2-3 months in a row. These bonuses are for sure part of his income and included for CS purposes. Last year he only received a bonus one month which was about $2000... this year he has hit target almost every month and accumulated a nice size bonus. It would be nice for it not to be included but it's income so I believe it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X