Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question

If I have a parenting agreement signed is it possible to have this agreement endorsed by a judge and made into a court order?

Without having to go through the entire process...application, response, CC, SC etc....

A bit of history that might help;

Current parenting agreement was signed in 2007. Father "signed over his rights to child" in exchange "to not pay child support" (this is the actual language)

Father and daughter have never met.

Parties have never been to court before.

Father now wants to be in daughters life, daughter although unsure has said she wants to know who he is.

Yes it's possible, but it would have to be "on consent".
    Meaning, you both have to have signed and have witnessed the agreement.

Then you fill out a Motion 14B, and it will be heard before the judge, and if he/she has no questions or concerns, it would be endorsed.

Comment

So Father has realized he made a huge mistake and both he and the child want to be in each other's life now .. and .. your'e trying to make that not happen?

Or are you saying that you're doing the right thing and allowing both father and daughter to be part of each other's life and want that to be endorsed now (replacing old agreement).

Hope it's not the former for everybody's sake.
      Last edited by LovingFather32; 06-05-2015, 08:43 AM.

Comment

I don't believe that a judge would endorse an order stating that the father (or mother) can sign over their parental rights to avoid paying child support.
        The Child Support is the right of the Child.....it is not in the child's best interests not to be supported by both parents.

That would be the judges overriding concern therefore they would not put it into an order.

The two parents can agree to whatever they want......until they don't and then they have a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Cobourg View Post
          I don't believe that a judge would endorse an order stating that the father (or mother) can sign over their parental rights to avoid paying child support.
          The Child Support is the right of the Child.....it is not in the child's best interests not to be supported by both parents.

That would be the judges overriding concern therefore they would not put it into an order.

The two parents can agree to whatever they want......until they don't and then they have a problem.
          I think you're absolutely right, I did not read the whole paragraph before I replied.

I don't think a judge would endorse such an order.

But if it was a reasonable agreement, with access and child support set out, then it could be endorsed without going through the whole "process".

Comment

Originally posted by LovingFather32 View Post
            So Father has realized he made a huge mistake and both he and the child want to be in each other's life now .. and .. your'e trying to make that not happen?

Or are you saying that you're doing the right thing and allowing both father and daughter to be part of each other's life and want that to be endorsed now (replacing old agreement).

Hope it's not the former for everybody's sake.
            I am trying to replace the old agreement with a new one that would include some sort of allowance for visitation schedule so they could get to know each other. I want a clear understanding that protects the both of us.

Comment

Originally posted by Cobourg View Post

No you are correct, it was never endorsed by a judge.

I accepted it, and call me what you will but I was not trying to ruin anyone's life by forcing "blood from the stone".

He claimed he couldn't help out so I took it for what it was and did what I had to do to support my daughter.

Comment

Originally posted by OntarioMomma View Post
                I think you're absolutely right, I did not read the whole paragraph before I replied.

I don't think a judge would endorse such an order.

But if it was a reasonable agreement, with access and child support set out, then it could be endorsed without going through the whole "process".
                Thank you, and this is my goal.

Comment

I don't think a judge would endorse an order that states explicitly that a parent will not pay child support.

However, just because your ex is officially required to pay CS doesn't mean you have to collect it. If you think your ex really doesn't have the money, you and he could agree privately (no judge involved) that you will not seek to have the order enforced.

Comment

Originally posted by stripes View Post
                    I don't think a judge would endorse an order that states explicitly that a parent will not pay child support.

However, just because your ex is officially required to pay CS doesn't mean you have to collect it. If you think your ex really doesn't have the money, you and he could agree privately (no judge involved) that you will not seek to have the order enforced.
                    Oh he claims he wants to start helping now, however only if he can speak to and see our daughter.

I told him I am okay with that but we have to take it at her pace. He disagrees with that and said that I am letting her run the show.....I told him I am not going to force her into something she isn't ready for, the time will come he just has to be patient.

I'm confused and really don't know how to proceed. The conversations have gotten hostile, quickly, to the point that I don't even respond. He now doesn't want anything in writing and claims he "doesn't need a contract" to see his daughter.

I want to do this the right way.

He abandoned her, I've done it all by myself and I'm sure everyone knows its not easy. All I am asking for is some piece of mind and some protection from the courts.

After everything I've done and all the heart break I've had to mend, I find it hard to accept that he can just come in, completely turn our world upside down and call all the shots.

Comment

Originally posted by Itsworthit View Post
                      Oh he claims he wants to start helping now, however only if he can speak to and see our daughter.

I told him I am okay with that but we have to take it at her pace. He disagrees with that and said that I am letting her run the show.....I told him I am not going to force her into something she isn't ready for, the time will come he just has to be patient.

I'm confused and really don't know how to proceed. The conversations have gotten hostile, quickly, to the point that I don't even respond. He now doesn't want anything in writing and claims he "doesn't need a contract" to see his daughter.
                      Dad needs a reality check.

He has a legal obligation to financially support his child.

His child has a right to know and meet her father.

These two are completely separate. He can't "buy" access to his kid - even if he never paid a penny, his daughter still has the right to know him and see him. Similarly, he can't refuse to pay child support because he hasn't seen his daughter.

Setting up a schedule for re-integrating Dad and Kid is not "a contract", it's a reasonable measure to ensure that the reunion goes well. Kids aren't like TV shows - you can't miss a few seasons and then binge-watch at your leisure to keep up with the plot twists.

Can you seek out the advice of a social worker or psychologist in setting up a plan for Kid to get to know her father? The Family Law Information Centre at your nearest courthouse may be able to assist you, also if you have an office of Child and Family Services (or whatever it's called in your province), they can offer support. It will be a big adjustment for Kid to have Dad reappear, but I think it's in her best interests to know him and have whatever kind of relationship is possible.

I can also understand that Dad doesn't want to be patient indefinitely - he needs to know that things are moving forward, even if they aren't moving forward at the pace he wants.

Comment

Originally posted by stripes View Post
                        Dad needs a reality check.

He has a legal obligation to financially support his child.

His child has a right to know and meet her father.

These two are completely separate. He can't "buy" access to his kid - even if he never paid a penny, his daughter still has the right to know him and see him. Similarly, he can't refuse to pay child support because he hasn't seen his daughter.

Setting up a schedule for re-integrating Dad and Kid is not "a contract", it's a reasonable measure to ensure that the reunion goes well. Kids aren't like TV shows - you can't miss a few seasons and then binge-watch at your leisure to keep up with the plot twists.

Can you seek out the advice of a social worker or psychologist in setting up a plan for Kid to get to know her father? The Family Law Information Centre at your nearest courthouse may be able to assist you, also if you have an office of Child and Family Services (or whatever it's called in your province), they can offer support. It will be a big adjustment for Kid to have Dad reappear, but I think it's in her best interests to know him and have whatever kind of relationship is possible.

I am in Ontario - I will check that out, thank you.

I can also understand that Dad doesn't want to be patient indefinitely - he needs to know that things are moving forward, even if they aren't moving forward at the pace he wants.
                        I understand he is anxious or excited or whatever but he needs to understand that she is 10 and she has opinions and feelings that need validation. I'm letting her lead the way with this, wrong or not I have no idea.

Thank you, this is the kind of advice I have been looking for.

Comment

I have an agreement/offer typed up. I am willing to share it if someone is willing to critic it for me.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                          Working...
                          X