Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

New posts


  Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law > Common Law Issues

Common Law Issues The law regarding common law relationships is different than in cases of divorce. Discuss the issues that affect unmarried couples here.

Closed Thread
Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2011, 08:16 PM
Emerald Emerald is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1
Emerald is on a distinguished road
Default from BC

I lived with a man for 10 years. We did not have any children. He did not work. I supported him, payed all the bills and during that time he only worked for 1 year. We split up and he moved to Ontario. I payed him $2000. cash, his plane fare, shipping of his possessions. Now he wants alimony. Does he have the right? Should I get a lawyer?
Old 08-03-2011, 08:25 PM
wretchedotis's Avatar
wretchedotis wretchedotis is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: ON
Posts: 2,317
wretchedotis is on a distinguished road

yes you should get a lawyer.
from what you say, sounds to me like he has a legitmate claim
Old 08-03-2011, 09:47 PM
raven70 raven70 is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 103
raven70 is on a distinguished road
Default From B.C Spousal Support

Hi Emerald, I also reside in B.C and have appeared in Ontario Court a handful
of times watching SS being argued in my family matter. A few questions, why
was your ex partner not working? what are the circumstances of the move to
Ontario? and your approximate income level are all important factors.
Closed Thread

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:56 AM.