Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

New posts


  Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

Closed Thread
Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2010, 05:07 PM
paris paris is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 598
paris is on a distinguished road
Default When child support ends...

I've seen this discussed here, and finally looked at my husband's separation agreement. It's dated 1997, and divorce in 2007 didn't not any changes.

"The Applicant shall pay support for the children as follows: the sum of $100.00 per week directly to the Respondent." There has been a yearly increase (cost of living) every year, and it is now about $130.00 per week. There was also a statement for spousal support involving paying mortgage and bills for 2 years. The spousal support had a specific end date.

A little background... There are 2 children. In 2000 the older child came to live with us. He did not vary the support. The older child moved out 3 years ago, bought a home, and is now 24. The younger child is 16 and still lives with her mother. Any paperwork we have ever received from FRO has only the younger child's name on it (weird). Maybe that explains why the support didn't go DOWN when the older child reached a certain age.

So, with nothing specific in the support order, I will venture a guess that child support will end:

a) when the child finishes school (post secondary included)
b) when the child moves out of her mother's home
c) if the child moves in with us

In any of those scenarios, the mother is NOT going to call FRO and say that the child is no longer living with her or no longer attending school. So, do we have to prove it? Do we contact FRO ourselves, and continue to pay until FRO decides it should end?

I don't expect this child to continue schooling beyond high school, but I'm hopeful. I also won't be surprised if she decides to live with us.

My husband hasn't worked for almost 2 years now, but I continue to pay the child support (she needs it). But if she comes to live with us, well, I just can't imagine covering all costs plus support. Or, if she moves into her own place (like before she's 18) we want to be able to direct the support payments to her.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:23 PM
dadtotheend's Avatar
dadtotheend dadtotheend is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,644
dadtotheend will become famous soon enoughdadtotheend will become famous soon enough

The FRO will not change anything until ordered by the court or on the joint consent of the parties. If your husband's ex won't agree, he will have to go back to court.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:33 PM
Mess Mess is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 5,448
Mess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the rough

Not sure if your support order was meant to be the table amount at the time? In any case, CS is determined by the payor's income level, and there is an increase with number of children but it is not actually that much difference.

The cost of going to court to get an order to change it would probably not be worth the difference.

If the child graduates from post secondary, or moves out at 18, she would have a really hard time justifying not telling the FRO, and you could do something like take her to small claims court.

If the child comes to live with you, then you should really get a court order so that the child's new residence is on file and she should really be paying you child support.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:04 PM
paris paris is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 598
paris is on a distinguished road

Thanks. We aren't looking to change the amount. For the first year he paid all the bills and gave her $100 cash. She was constantly trying to get he cash early, or phoning before he even got home from work on payday. He then pursued the separation agreement, hoping to connect with FRO and not have to deal with her any more. Best decision he ever made.

The agreement stated he'd pay the bills for about a year and a half as spousal. There was a bank loan and some credit card debt he assumed as part of that. The $100 week for CS was above the table amount for his income.

When the time comes, there will never be any joint consent. Filing a new order with the court should be easy enough. But I've read nightmare stories about getting FRO to stop payments.


Oh, but... a few years ago when he was working, his ex called to say she hadn't received her last 2 CS payments. He checked with his HR rep, and they said they got a letter from FRO that said to stop payments. We never did figure out why. The youngest was 8 then. Go figure.
Closed Thread

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
No "accountability" on child support - thoughts ? shellshocked22 Financial Issues 51 12-16-2013 11:55 AM
Child Support and Spousal Support BobbyShaftoe Introductions 14 04-26-2012 01:52 AM
Application For Spousal? lorlaman Divorce & Family Law 16 01-04-2011 08:42 PM
Offer to Settle Child Support - Is This Fair? #1StepMom Divorce & Family Law 4 10-27-2009 07:50 AM
Will I be Paying Spousal Support? North of You Financial Issues 5 10-21-2009 03:05 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:11 AM.