Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Math is tough!

from http://canlii.ca/t/h6m0l

[30] She is employed and works full-time. She works at Walmart... her counsel suggested to set her income at $25,000, which I accept.
    [57] Based on the history of the respondent’s employment and his lack of evidence suggesting inability to work or achieve the historically earned income level that he earned, as set out above, I am satisfied income should be imputed to the respondent and in the amount of $50,000.
    [65] Based on the imputed income I have found attributable to the respondent and the income of the applicant which I set at $25,000 as submitted, the respondent’s pro rata share is 75%.
    The judge was almost within 8% of the right amount, not too shabby. Math is tough! This calculation required adding and dividing.

Is a Math error an error in law ? Or do Family Court Judges also come up with their own Math ?
    Last edited by Jeff; 10-27-2017, 02:50 PM. Reason: Rude, unhelpful comments deleted

Comment

Originally posted by trinton View Post
      Is a Math error an error in law ?
      Most of the time, the justice will ask that a party who has an issue with the calculations come back with his findings.

Originally posted by trinton View Post
      Or do Family Court Judges also come up with their own Math ?
      Not only they come up with their own math, but they do come up with their own decisions on what is fair and reasonable according to them.

Comment

It seems here that the math was made up. They could also make up 'facts.'

Errors in findings of fact are ok since the court of appeal typically will only look at errors in application of the law. This is a way of helping to come up "with their own decisions on what is fair and reasonable [and 'lawful'] according to them."

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X