This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• child support question

Hi all, i was just wondering how child support works between Ontario and BC. my ex is in BC, and ive recently filed(over a month ago and was told there is a 1month backlog) for support thru FRO. apparently it can take up to a year to be finalized and start getting any money. i know my ex is on welfare out there, and am not sure if i can get any money from him if he is. any help would be appreciated!

Think you need updated financials of the payor...

Comment

thanks, but thats the most updated as it gets lol. hes almost never had an actual job for more than 2-3months. also, he hasnt had any contact with me and never replied to the court documents served to him. so the odds of getting any updated finacials is slim to none as far as him giving the information to me.

Comment

that being so - I think your best method is to let FRO handle it and provide them with as much information as possible.

Comment

thanks, i guess i have to sit back and wait.. at least im good at it lol

Comment

Yeah, and if he's on welfare, your chance of getting anything more than a pittance is slim to none, unless you had an income inputted to him and he has to pay based on that.

Comment

well it looks like im getting the bare minimum from him, though i dont know if hes even working or in school by now, as hes not had any contact at all since jan/feb. the odds of him ever doing either are slim so im not holding my breath. what does that mean, an income inputted to him?

Comment

common-law shared custody

I currently have status Quo shared custody with my ex for the last year. A true week on/ week off. My ex has filed an application and is requesting child support. She moved out to live with her affair in a similiar house in the same neighbourhood. Her new partner makes as much as me. Our salaries are a 10,000 dollar difference with me making the 10,000 more. However, she gets all the tax credits for our three children. Our line 150 is the same income. If this goes to court what do they look at, line 150 of your income tax or your T4's? I made an offer that she keeps all the tax credits and recreational tax credits and I pay no support. Of course not good enough. Anyone have knowledge on this??????

Comment

If you have 50/50, you use the offset method. You use her Line 150 to find out what she would pay you and do the same with yours, and then whomever would pay more would pay the difference.

Also, you should each be claiming the children. Either split who claims which child, or rotate years where you each claim all 3. YOu are an equal parent and deserve to get the same tax breaks she does.

I wouldn't worry too much about what she is asking for, status quo *should* prevail. One thing isn't clear though. Is your ex working? He new boyfriend's income has no effect on your case.

Comment

Offset method as has been mentioned.
                    You be claiming the children every other year. If she won't agree, do it anyway and that way neither of you get it.

File claim with CRA to collect your share of the CCTB/UCCB. (You are entitled to it 6 months/year, but YOU have to file for it)

Comment

Yes my ex works she we makes roughly the same income according to our line 150. I pay higher for my child care so I thought that may help offset the 10,000 I make more than her. Who knows what the courts may think. I think if i have them half the time she doesn't need support.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                      Working...
                      X