Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

New posts


  Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

Closed Thread
Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2010, 10:03 PM
tenter tenter is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1
tenter is on a distinguished road
Default Adult children's rights

Does anyone know where I can find info about the rights of adult children still living at home.
The father of two adult children in their 20's has threatened to boot them out of the family home whenever they refuse to be used by him to threaten or lay a guilt trip on their mother for leaving a controlling and abusive relationship.
Both children support their mother's decision but remain with their father because their mother moved to a much smaller community several hundred miles away, to start a new life with someone else. Both children have part-time jobs where they live and have just been accepted at post-secondary institutions. Both are responsible, respectful, considerate young adults and have never been a cause for concern to warrent being forced to leave their family home. They readily help maintain the family home, doing laundry, making meals, doing dishes, vacuuming, etc, etc.
Also, while they support their mother's decision, they have avoided being critical of their father. The only anger they show towards him is whenever he trashes their mother.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:11 PM
billiechic billiechic is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Vaughan
Posts: 2,373
billiechic is on a distinguished road

THey have the right to move out. If the adult children do not like his rules, they can leave. He can ask them to leave if he owns the home or is the renter.

By staying with an abusive and controlling father they are not supporting their mother. Even if they stick up with her. when he says things to them to demean her, he is attempting to bring them to his side. By staying they are accepting his abuse.

I don't mean to be harsh, but I have to question why they would stay with an abusive father.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:13 PM
NBDad's Avatar
NBDad NBDad is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New Brunswick
Posts: 2,734
NBDad is on a distinguished road

The have no rights to stay there. At 16 they can choose to live somewhere 18 they can be evicted.

If this is a common threat I would suggest they look at finding an apartment with each other or some friends. If they are students they should qualify for government student loans which would include a livign allowance.

When you split it a couple ways, renting a small home or apartment it only works out to a small sum each per month.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:49 PM
standing on the sidelines standing on the sidelines is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Kitchener Ontario
Posts: 5,612
standing on the sidelines is on a distinguished road

they have the right to move out. No one can force the father to let them stay considering they are adults.
Closed Thread

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What R Children's rights to privacy/sleeping arrangements? Enoughalready11 Parenting Issues 18 10-13-2011 02:42 AM
Books about children's rights, for kids? Heart-broken dad Parenting Issues 8 05-17-2011 08:32 AM
What rights do I have to investigate my children's caregiver when with dad? momof3 Divorce & Family Law 10 01-30-2010 06:24 PM
Adult child's income taxes GGG Divorce & Family Law 1 02-07-2007 04:40 PM
Childs Lawyer gooddadgoingmad Divorce & Family Law 16 03-31-2006 02:57 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:18 PM.