This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I entitled to apply for the birth certificate? - Ontario.ca

Not more than one certificate and one certified copy (long form) will be issued. Check which one you need before you apply.
    So get a certified copy. Whoever didn't pay for the one you currently have should pay for the certified copy.

Or you could just be reasonable and send them with the child, as they should be.

Comment

My son was not born in Canada but thanks for your input Blink.

I have agreed to provide the documentation with the understanding that they are returned following the application in order to process his other application.

Thanks again.

Comment

You might have wanted to specify that in your original post. Or in any of your posts, for that matter. Pretty sure all the info given here was specific to this country.

Comment

Originally posted by Berner_Faith View Post
          Yes Tayken you are right...but they are not his property to withhold for no reason other than the fact he is being difficult and suspects she will lose them.
          Agreed. The OP is anticipating something bad is going to happen. Courts don't run on "anticipations" but, real actual factual events. The OP is paranoid about the documentation and maintaining control of them when in fact the actual legal control of them is in the hands of the government.

As the custodian if the other party doesn't return them they can be reported lost and new ones can be acquired by the custodian.

Originally posted by Berner_Faith View Post
          Does a notarized copy not cost money? If so, he should be responsible for that charge seeing as he is unwilling to give her the documents she needs.
          Yup. The OP seems so concerned about the documents and giving them up I agree that the OP should pay the costs for the notarized copy. But, then the other party has a notarized copy and never needs to ask the OP for them again. Control will be lost and that isn't what the OP wants from what it seems in the line of questioning. The OP for some reason thinks that custodianship = control. It just doesn't.

You identified it correctly Berner_Faith, it is a non-issue and the OP should really just give up the documents and wait to see if the "bad" thing the OP is expecting happens.

Good Luck!
          Tayken

Comment

Originally posted by blinkandimgone View Post
            You might have wanted to specify that in your original post. Or in any of your posts, for that matter. Pretty sure all the info given here was specific to this country.
            Blink, you are 100% correct. The OP didn't identify that the child is not a citizen. Important information that should have been disclosed if the OP was truly looking for a solution.

Good Luck!
            Tayken

Comment

Certain firms will notarize copies of documents for free (like mine).

Call around.

Comment

Wow, seriously take a breathe. My son is Canadian but he was born in another country. He was naturalized at 3 months of age. As a matter of point, I have offered a notarized copy in addition to other options and she has refused.

The birth certificate and other documentation is needed to complete his UK citizenship application and was ordered for this reason. The originals have to be sent with the application to the US. This is the only reason I have taken issue to her request.

At any rate, it's been resolved. Thanks.

Comment

Thank Hammer. I might do that before I hand them over just in case. My fiance's uncle is a lawyer and he will most like do it for free.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharah View Post
                    Thank Hammer. I might do that before I hand them over just in case. My fiance's uncle is a lawyer and he will most like do it for free.
                    If you have someone you know can do it for free, it is in your best interests to get it done. There really is no harm holding onto a notarial copy. You never know when you may need it.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                    Working...
                    X